Justification for late payment fee

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Justification for late payment fee

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 11 of 19 (130 Views)
Hi there, there isn't one but talk to us about the circumstances on the phone.
Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

by ColinMacdonald Starter Poster
Message 12 of 19 (230 Views)

Hi there, I received the late payment fee on my latest invoice which I shall pay in full as per the Ts and Cs. We paid when the text was received having mised payment by sheer mistake. However, the website information related to such a fee states that it is to cover the (often) substantial cost that Vodafone incurs in chasing late payments. How does $15 link in any way whatsoever to a simple text reminder which I presume was sent automatically and did not involve any actual obvious expense incurred by Vodafone. By all means, charge a Penalty as that is what it actually is. I am miffed about the the "cost" of sending me a text reminder, especialy by a telco which prides itself on being cost competitive in NZ.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 13 of 19 (1,953 Views)

Al_Bundy wrote:
... If I were to not pay my bill for months on end, and Baycorp had to be called in, you're not telling me all those collection fees and interest wouldn't be stuck on my bill, and I'd only pay the $15+GST?...

Hi Al_Bundy

If a bill were not paid for months then there would be late payments fees applied to each of those monthly invoices, and if it were referred to a debt collection agency there would be a debt collection fee as well.

Unfortunately handling late bills simply does have a significant cost to the business. Sometimes customers mention that they might prefer an "early payment discount" which is effectively the same sort of outcome - pay before one date and it's this much, after that date it's more.

Personally I'm a big fan of setting up automatic payments from my credit card (including my Vodafone bills), a direct debit to pay off the credit card, and then programming other things like rates once a year to cover the four quarters.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Al_Bundy Starter Poster
Message 14 of 19 (1,906 Views)

Dylan wrote:

Unfortunately handling late bills simply does have a significant cost to the business. 

I challenge you to tell me the costs you incurred on me paying 10 days late. As far as I can see, you didn't act on me missing the due date in any way, shape or form, until I paid it of my own volition. 

Honoured Contributor

by Honoured Contributor Honoured Contributor
Message 15 of 19 (1,899 Views)

It's an avoidable fee. I have extended an offer to you to have the fee waived and to guarantee that the fee will not be applied to your account in the future. This offer still stands, should you wish to take me upon it Smiley Happy

I can completely understand that you've made payment late, i've done it myself! Which is why I want to help you out and avoid this situation in the future.

Unfortunately, we are not able to publicly announce private business information.

The T&C are clear on the matter.

I hope this clarifies the situation further

I work in the Mobile On Account and Mobile Technical Support team. I volunteer my time on the Community.
Starter Poster

by Al_Bundy Starter Poster
Message 16 of 19 (761 Views)

Lucas wrote:

It's an avoidable fee. I have extended an offer to you to have the fee waived and to guarantee that the fee will not be applied to your account in the future. This offer still stands, should you wish to take me upon it Smiley Happy

I don't do direct debits, so I don't see how you can make good on such an offer. I'd be even more concerned if you could, actually.

Honoured Contributor

by Honoured Contributor Honoured Contributor
Message 17 of 19 (756 Views)

I wouldn't make the offer if I couldn't deliver on it Smiley Very Happy

I work in the Mobile On Account and Mobile Technical Support team. I volunteer my time on the Community.
New Poster

by phillipb New Poster
Message 18 of 19 (392 Views)
I have been on at Vodafone about this for years since the fee went to $17.25.

Just now they changed the way they do business with me by not cutting outbound voice in the same month and deliberately leaving it 3 MONTHS charging $51.75.

I am on the "Advantage - SIMO" plan.
Free calls/txts Aus/NZ free voice mail 4Gb data for $33.91/month.

That includes the $10 discount for copper line broadband. ...a 4Gb upgrade which I never use (because they stuffed my land line SO MANY TIMES that I dropped my phone number so they had less to stuff up).

So my bill after 3 months of (maybe) a couple of texts is $221 or $73/month (included a video call of $29 as they also didn't inform me they charge video calls...I assumed it worked through data....so let's realistically include the undisclosed hidden charge).

Not exactly a cheap deal anymore now is it....what did they do for $51.75? Wasted 30min online to 777...then went through to retentions who advised not crediting anything because "a manager has put a note" then she said I can move to Skinny and she'll change my number to prepay right now. I queried why you would loose $600/yr over outrageous fees that have not been earn and she hung the phone in my ear! She knew my number and didn't call back so it was deliberately done.

WELL DONE VODAFONE...I have been a loyal client with two accounts for 4 years....you've had a lot of easy money (as Theresa Gattung ex Telecom CEO said circa. 2006 in an Aussie conference : "You could argue that that's how all of us keep calling prices up and get those revenues, high-margin businesses, keep them going for a lot longer than would have been the case.

"But at some level, whether they consciously articulate or not, customers know that's what the game has been. They know we're not being straight up." )

When I worked for Telecom it was known that a 1min 0800 call actually cost the business 0.000007cents or thereabouts. ...once the hardware is paid for and some licensing fees the rest is jam.

Anyhow Skinny is $46/mth....impossible to get late payment fees....they still cut the service to let you know just like Vodafone (except they won't change when they do it at whim).

Posted from Mozilla Firefox for Android
New Poster

[ Edited ]
by LesMcKenzie New Poster
Message 19 of 19 (361 Views)

Totally frustrated by similar responses from Vodafone .....

COMPLAINT AGAINST THE COMMISSION

Your complaint will be read, logged and assigned to a manager to answer. The manager will make contact with you, and may in some cases seek further information. Please refer to the Complaints Policy on our website for details on how we handle complaints about us.

Describe your concerns.

Please provide as much detail as you can:

I inadvertently payed the wrong account and got charged a late fee of $15.00 I have two issues with this, How can they justify a $15.00 fee when they havent done anything? Similar to the banks charging $25 bounced check fees? Also, The payment I made was actually to another vodafone account which put it in credit so vodafone had the money ... just in the wrong account. I questioned vodafone and they said it was just the way it is.

The total bill was for $50.00.

Stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 8 Contributors