EXTREMELY slow VDSL speeds

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

EXTREMELY slow VDSL speeds

by LiamKhamal Starter Poster
Message 1 of 12 (5,629 Views)

We have recently gotten VDSL, about 3 weeks ago. The speeds we were promised are 5Mbps + upload, and 15Mbps + download... We are only getting 0.27 download speeds, and about the same for upload speeds for the majority of the day. Around 10PM it starts to get back to 5Mbps download and upload.

This is HORRIFIC. Why are our speeds so low? I would be happy even with constant 5Mbps download and upload, anything that is actually USEABLE. I can't even load up a basic webpage in under 2 minutes...

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Staff Lon
Staff

Re: EXTREMELY slow VDSL speeds

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 5 of 12 (8,808 Views)

Your modem is synching at >33Mbps so I'm curious why your throughput is so low. Are you connecting via Wifi?

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author LiamKhamal
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Starter Poster

Message 2 of 12 (5,620 Views)

Capture.PNG

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 3 of 12 (5,610 Views)

Hi @LiamKhamal - sounds pretty frustrating. Can you try factory resetting the modem so it can go through the automatic configuration process again? It is possible that something has gone awry during the setup.

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 12 (5,608 Views)

Thanks, I reset the Huawei HG659 but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Highlighted
Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 5 of 12 (8,809 Views)

Your modem is synching at >33Mbps so I'm curious why your throughput is so low. Are you connecting via Wifi?

Solution
Accepted by topic author LiamKhamal
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 12 (5,601 Views)

Yes, I am connecting via wifi although once I post this I will go and do a check whilst hardwired into the modem. There are 3 laptops, 4 phones and a signal booster connected (flat house), therefore I won't be getting all of the bandwidth but <1Mbps seems a little too low. Thank you Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

Message 7 of 12 (5,597 Views)

*lightbulb* Turns out it is just my wireless adapter I'm using, sorry for the trouble and thanks!

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 8 of 12 (5,595 Views)

I'm glad you found the issue! Great stuff - good luck! Smiley Happy

Contributor xpd
Contributor

by Contributor xpd Contributor
Message 9 of 12 (5,593 Views)

Yeah always do speed tests via ethenet connection.

Also, you might have a lot of wifi traffic in your area, which can affect your wifi speeds. If youve got an Android device, look for "wifi analyzer" and install it - it will scan the wifi networks and show how much signal youre getting, channel usage etc - brilliant app for troubleshooting wifi issues.

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 12 (5,591 Views)

I got someone else to do a speedtest on wifi, and they got >16Mbps. So it must be my adapter and that's something I know how to fix. Smiley Happy Thanks guys

Stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 9 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today