Exporting emails in folders from Paradise

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Re: Exporting emails in folders from Paradise

by Frequent Poster yitz Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 14 (265 Views)

You could also consider importing your existing Outlook folders to Thunderbird. Might be more straightforward.

Frequent Poster

Message 2 of 14 (270 Views)

@DuncanL you will need to set up both email services in Thunderbird. To import folders from your Clear net email into Thunderbird you need to add the server addresses for Clear email (IMAP) which can be found here:

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/broadband-and-tv/vodafone-email-setup/

Starter Poster

by DuncanL Starter Poster
Message 3 of 14 (278 Views)

I am still struggling. I have created a gamil address. Do I now add that to thunderbird or do I create another email address in thunderbird?

Frequent Poster

Message 4 of 14 (348 Views)

Glad to hear you have managed to get it sorted. 

Starter Poster

by rssteele Starter Poster
Message 5 of 14 (360 Views)

Hi Yitz/ Mike,

Thanks to you both for the clear instructions. Tried out Yitz's on a small folder holding 50 emails last night. On the first attempt the folder was still in the main group of folders and not in the Local Folder group, and would not allow dragging. However, as Yits's instructions advise, once I had copied the emails to a new Local Folder, the method worked fine.

Help from you both much appreciated.

Regards Ross.

PS: Re my first note on exporting Paradise contacts, Gmail would not recognise the format when I tried to get it to import the earlier two address books which Thunderbird had supposedly saved as .vcf files. I therefore repeated the process saving them as csv files, which Gmail then imported OK.

However, it merged both address books into one large Gmail Contacts list (440), which fortunately was not a problem, but Gmail then had to guess which separated value represented the "last name" for alphabetical sorting, which in numerous cases required individual corrections and was rather time consuming.     

Solution
Accepted by topic author rssteele
‎22-09-2017 08:58 AM
Community Manager

[ Edited ]
by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 6 of 14 (380 Views)

@rssteele

Hi Ross

Apologies, a bit of a repeat of @yitz better illustrated steps.

OK, here are the steps

1. Set up Gmail as an IMAP account in Mozilla Thunderbird.
  2. Open the folder containing the emails you want to import.
  3. Highlight the messages you want to import.
  4. Press Ctrl-A or Command-A to highlight all messages.
  5. Select Message | Copy from the menu, followed by the target Gmail folder:
    for messages you have received: [Gmail]/All Mail
    for sent mail: [Gmail]/Sent Mail
    for emails you want to appear in the Gmail inbox: Inbox
    for messages you want to show up in a label: the folder named like the Gmail label.
Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Frequent Poster

Message 7 of 14 (388 Views)

Hi Ross,

Below are a series of screenshots which should guide you through the process I had outlined previously. Before you proceed make sure your Gmail account has to been added to Thunderbird as IMAP (as it should be default)

Screen 1: Identify the folder that contains messages you wish to transfer to Gmail. This folder should be under the heading 'Local Folders' or 'xx@paradise.net.nz'.

step1.jpg

Screen 2: Drag the folder you wish to move onto the heading for your Gmail account.

step2.jpg

Screen 3: The folder should now also appear under your Gmail account. Depending on how the number and size of messages in the folder it may take a while to transfer, progress is indicated in the status bar near the bottom of the screen.

step3.jpg

Repeat the above procedure for each folder you wish to transfer.

Finally, confirm messages have been successfully transferred by navigating to www.gmail.com in a browser. Your folders should appear as labels corresponding to folder names on the left hand side of your screen. Once you have confirmed your messages have been transferred and Vodafone's forwarding has been activated you may wish to discontinue using Thunderbird.

Frequent Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 14 (341 Views)

Hi Ross,

Please see the screenshots found below illustrating the process of dragging and dropping folders within Thunderbird. As outlined previously, before proceeding you must add your example@gmail.com account to Thunderbird as IMAP (as it should by default).

Screen 1, identify and select the folder you want to move under your existing paradise mail account.

step1.jpg

Screen 2: Click and drag the folder into the relevant account heading (e.g. example@gmail.com)

step2.jpg

Screen 3: A duplicate copy of the folder and all its messages should now appear under the example@gmail.com account. Depending on the number of messages contained in the folder it may take some time to copy the messages across from your local computer hard drive to Gmail's servers. Progress is indicated near the bottom of your screen in the status bar.

step3.jpg

Repeat the above procedure for each folder you wish you move from your local computer hard drive to Gmail servers.

Verify your messages have been transferred by logging into www.gmail.com through a web browser. Messages should appear under labels corresponding to folder name down the left hand side. If the transfer of your existing messages is successful and forwarding has been set up you can discontinue using Thunderbird if you wish.

Starter Poster

by rssteele Starter Poster
Message 9 of 14 (413 Views)

Hi Yitz,

After your previous comments on using Gmail alone versus continuing to use Thunderbird as my email client with Gmail.com as my ISP, I decided to go for the first option as it seemed the simpler solution and I did not know how to accomplish the second one anyway.

This has left me in a quandary as to how to export my old emails in the Thunderbird folders to Gmail folders using the drag and drop method which you suggested in your previous response - the Thunderbird folders do not seem to want to be dragged and also I couldn't get Gmail open on the same screen to locate a suitably labelled mail box for dropping them into. 

I therefore went into Gmail Help for other suggestions on exporting old email files from other accounts, and came up with the possibility of using Google Mail Fetcher. What I did not realise until later, however, is that the mail fetcher relies on my being able to copy/move the old emails from my computer back to the Inbox on  the Paradise server from which they can then be fetched. So far I have not been able to find a way to get the old emails copied, preferably as a folder, or even singlely into the Paradise Inbox, so using Mail Fetcher doesn't appear to be an option.

Hopefully, you will be able to help finally solve the email exporting problem. If you can, this would be much appreciated, particularly if you could spell out the solution in a step by step fashion, as my computer literacy is not as advanced as you might think.

Regards. Ross 

Frequent Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 14 (451 Views)

I guess the key difference here is that currently new emails you retrieve off Paradise POP3 servers are downloaded to your hard drive ("Local Folders"). Gmail is best set up as IMAP (as Thunderbird will do by default if you try to add a Gmail account). IMAP uses a system of "Remote Folders" which means your messages are filed in the cloud Gmail system and when you set up Thunderbird you are synchronising the contents of the folders between your hard drive and Gmail's systems. This will require slightly more overhead for the synchronisation process to occur but is totally manageable The advantage here is you can access your email at any time on any device. 

What I have outlined are the steps needed to copy your 800 emails which are currently only stored on your local computer hard drive (i.e. Local Folders) to Remote Folders so they are stored in the cloud on Gmail's systems. This allows you to access your emails outside of Thunderbird in the future if you so wish, e.g. through any web browser or smart phone.

Alternatively you may choose to set up Gmail as POP3 and therefore having your messages stored in Local Folders on your hard drive of your PC only like you have now. You would set this up after forwarding has been activated and before November 30 when Paradise POP3 servers are to be shut down. 

You should not move or modify Thunderbird's application data directly on your file system, this may result in unexpected data loss. Instead you should 'drag and drop' from inside the Thunderbird program. While you can drag and drop entire folders at a time, depending on your broadband connection speed data will take some time to upload from your local hard drive to Gmail's servers. The process of copying your data over to the remote server is only a one off. You can then choose to continue using Thunderbird to access your Gmail via IMAP or stop using Thunderbird and use a web browser.

Stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 4w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today