slow internet speeds with cable 10/100 plan

Regular Poster

slow internet speeds with cable 10/100 plan

by Regular Poster Baldrick Regular Poster
Message 1 of 8 (2,624 Views)

I recently have noticed that our broadband speed has been very slow.  We upgraded from the 2/50MB plan to the 10/100MB plan and since the upgrade our dowload speed is absolutely terrible.  The speed ranges from 2MB to 100MB depending on what time of the day it is.  The speed seems to be 100MB in the morning and then gets slower and slower as the day goes on.

Around 7pm it gets really bad to the point the other night the speed was a constant 2MB download, which is a long way off 100MB!!! But the upload was always 10MB so the issue just seems to be impacing the download speed.  And before anyone asks yes I have been testing directly connected to the Cisco cable modem, so it's not my WiFi router.

I have spent many... many hours on the phone to Vodafone and been passed from one person to another yet still no resolution.  I have to say that the phone support for Vodafone has to be the worst in the world and coming from Telstraclear as a customer I'm very disappointed, as their support was much better and more customer focussed.

There is no know issue on the Network status page and the customer zone for existing Telstraclear customer is rubbish.  Unfortunately it's like Vodafone are more interested in getting new customers rather than keeping the ones they have. 

If not sorted soon I will seriously consider moving to another vendor.

Regular Poster

Re: slow internet speeds with cable 10/100 plan

by Regular Poster michaelmurfy Regular Poster
Message 2 of 8 (2,620 Views)

This is a known problem on the Vodafone cable network and is caused by more and more people using their fair allocation of unlimited internet causing your local node to become loaded and well, slow down your broadband, the other thing here is you've only got one choice in provider if you want cable broadband.

Vodafone have quoted many times they're working on it but upgrading the capacity of each and every node over Wellington and Christchurch does take time to do and it is not something they can upgrade at the drop of the hat.

But, you're also on a "best effort" service and they do make no guarintees at all that you'll get your 100mbit 24/7. If you want a dedicated internet plan I highly recommend you to look at something like dedicated fibre which costs upwards of $3000 per month for 100mbit and costs in the thousands to get installed, that is your one and only option if you want to get top speeds 24/7.

Regular Poster

Message 3 of 8 (2,581 Views)

Thanks for the information,

If this is a known problem and Vodafone are aware of it, why is it not on their status page.  Even more sensible would be for the information to be given to their support teams so they can provide this to the customers that are having problems and phone in with the issue. 

You are correct in that Vodafone are the only provider with a cable offering, but even ADSL might provide a better stable service offering if this issue isn't sorted.  Sorry but having my download speed start getting slower and slower as the evening goes on to the point of being around 2 MB is not acceptable especially when I'm paying for 100MB.

I do still wonder why this problem has only just become an issue for me since upgrading to the 10/100MB plan when the 2/50MB plan seemed more stable.  It would also be nice to know what Vodafone are doing about the issue and what timeframes they are working too.

Starter Poster

by Fastfil Starter Poster
Message 4 of 8 (2,572 Views)

I have noted the same performance issue, even at 4 am in the morning yesterday I was unable to get more then 10 meg download sustained, it would peak at 10 meg and then drop off. I am also subsribed to the 100/10 meg plan. Some months ago due to poor speeds Vodafone replaced the router with a Netcomm N5, which was delivering sustain DL speeds better then 65 megs. However over the last week in particular performance has definately dropped off.

I am not looking forward to waiting on hold for hours to get support.

Highlighted
Regular Poster

Message 5 of 8 (2,557 Views)

It would be interesting to know which area you are in, I'm in Miramar. 

Good luck with contacting Vodafone, just remember to phone the 0508 number (if your an existing Telstraclear customer) not the normal Vodafone 0800 number.  It seems they still have 2 different teams doing support, one for the Telstraclear customers and one for the new Vodafone customers, oh and don't call after hours as you just get what appaers to be a reduced helpdesk/answer service. 

Starter Poster

by Fastfil Starter Poster
Message 6 of 8 (2,535 Views)

I'm in Wilton and have a logged history of the rapid degradation of the download speeds since early March this year. Currently on hold waiting for tech support for 48 mins.

New Poster

by AJH_SMH New Poster
Message 7 of 8 (1,423 Views)

We are in Ngaio and also on the 100mbs plan - On average we get about 20mbs. Have done for about 6 months. I phoned Voda and they blamed the wifi network, even though I was testing with a direct connection.

The problem is that Fibre isn't planned for our area, so we have very little choice - and Vodafone know it !

New Poster

by riposte New Poster
Message 8 of 8 (1,388 Views)

I'm in Karori on Vodafone Cable - supposedly UltraFast!

It is becoming pretty much unusable in the evening and at other odd times of the day.

Netflix is definitely not an option at these times - might as well be on dial-up.

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today