replacing cable with fibre

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

replacing cable with fibre

by davidm57 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (626 Views)

Ive had cable for TV and broadband here in Wellington for literally a decade or more but to be fair weve always had speed issues with the internet connection (allegedly a 100mb service, but we dont even come close). Fibre has just arrived in our street so Im keen to swap out the cable and get a fibre service for TV and internet - is this possible ?  

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: replacing cable with fibre

Message 4 of 4 (1,116 Views)

Update: - I called Voda to discuss, after doing their usual runaround of trying to show that it was my wifi issue the very helpful tech support guy realised that our account had "mysteriously" defaulted bact to a 50/2 service - not the 100/10 which which shows on our bill and which we pay for. I have to say this isnt the first time weve experienced this - troubling.  Anyway, they reset our service to 100/10 and hepresto we can actually get 101 / 10 over wifi  - though we still experience variation on that depending on time of day etc. Way better than it was though !

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author davidm57
‎17-01-2017 10:20 AM

All Replies
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Jay_JWLH Starter Poster
Message 2 of 4 (613 Views)

So far I have seen Cable to be comparible to Fibre, unless you are someone who wants something much higher end and modern. Otherwise I would suggest taking it up with Vodafone to have a look into your issue. Give them a chance to test your line to see what speeds you are actually getting, and have someone sent out if needed to make things go as fast as they are being advertised to be.

But if it does come down to Fibre, be sure to keep Cable in the meantime as the installation of Fibre can be potentionally lengthy depending on what work needs to be done, and cost a bit to put into place.

If at first Vodafone don't play ball, feel free to esculate the matter to a formal complaint. You want to make sure they are doing everything they can to sort your problem out.

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 4 (606 Views)

Well, at the end of the day if cable can deliver a consistent 100mb down, and something decent up then we'd be ok with it. But as it stands the alleged 100mb service we have is doing around 40mb down on a good day, and at best 2mb up. I accept we'll have some degredation for the wifi, but weve actually cabled a ubiquiti AP from the modem to our living area to ensure a strong wifi signal and performance where we use it most - wifi losses were large previously with a single Airport extreme at one end of the house.  

I can give Voda a call and pose the question to them about the cable - as long as they dont pass me around 5 call centre operators in manila who couldnt help like they did when I called recently Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 4 (1,117 Views)

Update: - I called Voda to discuss, after doing their usual runaround of trying to show that it was my wifi issue the very helpful tech support guy realised that our account had "mysteriously" defaulted bact to a 50/2 service - not the 100/10 which which shows on our bill and which we pay for. I have to say this isnt the first time weve experienced this - troubling.  Anyway, they reset our service to 100/10 and hepresto we can actually get 101 / 10 over wifi  - though we still experience variation on that depending on time of day etc. Way better than it was though !

Solution
Accepted by topic author davidm57
‎17-01-2017 10:20 AM
Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 19w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today