ihug email hi-jacked

Highlighted
New Poster
Accepted Solution

ihug email hi-jacked

by GrahameCraig New Poster
Message 1 of 10 (1,583 Views)

My email account was hi-jacked 3 days ago, now getting 50 plus Delivery Status Notification Failures from spammer sending to fake email addresses off my ihug account.  When will Vodafone address this security breach?

Accepted Solutions
Retired Staff

Re: ihug email hi-jacked

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 10 of 10 (2,293 Views)

LiddyFamily wrote:

I believe it's your email that is far from the truth!!  It is your staff on the phones that told me that it is an issue with a lot of email users and I'm just trying to help people who end up in the same situation as ourselves.

Yes, there have been a number of accounts recently sending out a very large amount of spam. This would typically be because of a virus or malware on your computer or if your individual account has been compromised, which may have been through a phishing email or similar.

If your account is still sending out spam it will be blocked again. This is to help prevent ihug.co.nz and vodafone.co.nz being added to international spam lists which can prevent legitimate email getting from our customers getting through.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

Message 2 of 10 (1,565 Views)

Hi @GrahameCraig 

That sounds very frustrating and concerning! I'm not aware of any email issues or system breaches, actually I've been here for over four years and have not heard of any email security breaches, sometimes there might be individual account compromised but that would more generally be a security issue on an individual computer with a virus or malware.

From your description it sounds like there could have been a number of emails generated with your address as the "from" address, which you're now receiving the bouncebacks for? That can actually happen without any security intrusion or issue on any computer at all. Anyone can change the "from" field in their email client, email is fundamentally quite trusting like that.

It may be a good idea to change your email password (that can be done in My Vodafone for ihug.co.nz email addresses) and make sure your computer is in good shape, check for viruses and malware.

Please let us know how that works out.

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

by LiddyFamily Starter Poster
Message 3 of 10 (1,561 Views)

This has happened to us too!!  And we have been trying for 3 (three!!) days to try and contact vodafone - will try the solutions suggested and get back to you. 

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 10 (1,556 Views)

OK so far not working because I can't get into email cos it says login failed (as it has since this whole scenario began) and I can't change my password (by saying I've forgotten my password) cos I don't have a vodafone mobile - I'm going round in circles here and no one from Vodafone seems keen to help me or contact me - aarghhhh!!

Retired Staff

Message 5 of 10 (1,540 Views)

Hi @LiddyFamily , I've responded to your private message with more information.

Just speaking generally, sometimes computers may have a virus or malware on them which may hijack the email program on a computer and send out large amounts of spam. Many of the destination addresses may be invalid, so you might receive lots of bouncebacks for that spam. It's an annoying problem that no one really wins from.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 10 (1,527 Views)

OK now I think I know what has happened here and Vodafone aren't telling us:

1. Scammers got in and hijacked our email addresses

2. To "fix" this issue Vodafone went in and changed the email passwords of those whose emails were affected but of course didn't tell us they had done this!!

3. In order to access your emails go into My Vodafone and change the password of the email address that has been affected

4. Problem solved!!

Now why can't they put this on their website!!  Why did we have to be in a HUGE queue when ringing them - only to be told it is happending to HEAPS of people and we're just 1 of many!!  Pfft!!  Bad Vodafone!!

Staff Lon
Staff

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 7 of 10 (1,517 Views)

Hi @LiddyFamily - your post couldn't be further from the truth. Please have your machine checked thoroughly for malware as the issue is on your computer, not the Vodafone system.

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 10 (1,508 Views)

I believe it's your email that is far from the truth!!  It is your staff on the phones that told me that it is an issue with a lot of email users and I'm just trying to help people who end up in the same situation as ourselves.

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 9 of 10 (1,505 Views)

@LiddyFamily 110% @Lon is correct.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Retired Staff

Message 10 of 10 (2,294 Views)

LiddyFamily wrote:

Yes, there have been a number of accounts recently sending out a very large amount of spam. This would typically be because of a virus or malware on your computer or if your individual account has been compromised, which may have been through a phishing email or similar.

If your account is still sending out spam it will be blocked again. This is to help prevent ihug.co.nz and vodafone.co.nz being added to international spam lists which can prevent legitimate email getting from our customers getting through.

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 5 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today