Video Calling on Skype - Video drop out

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Video Calling on Skype - Video drop out

by monty888 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (2,478 Views)
Have Panasonic smart tv....has Skype function on it, connected via Ethernet cable with Vodafone broadband. I can Skype, talk / hear without problem, incoming video is good too....Problem is video my freeze on whoever i'm calling. I assume internet speed is the issue (Skype help say 1.2mps for HD video calling) - Just done speed test, Ping @ 52 Download @ 11.63 and Upload at 0.64 mps (Wifi - guessing cable would only improve a little?). Any options to fix or increase speed? Can i reduce quality of video sent from TV? Thinking Smart TV is not so smart! Maybe its too smart for NZ ISP's?! Skype works fine on Laptop over Wifi.
Posted from Apple iPhone

Accepted Solutions
Retired Staff

Re: Video Calling on Skype - Video drop out

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 9 of 9 (3,084 Views)

If the issue only occurs with the television, and not on other devices using Skype such as the laptop, it seems unlikely to be caused by your broadband connection - your speeds look fine (You may wish to check the 'sync rates' in the modem itself). Have you checked in with Panasonic to see if they have any updated software for the smart TV, or any reports of other customers with a similar problem?

I've popped the topic in the Home Broadband forum now. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 9 (2,469 Views)

You should be able to improve the uplink speed a bit maybe my getting a master filter installed on the telephone line coming into the house but could not really confirm until we saw the modem xDSL line stats,

This thread has also been started in the Welcome to the community section, Please review this thread about posting in the right place related to the topic you are asking about

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Welcome-to-Vodafone-Community/A-guide-to-using-Vodafone-Community...

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 9 (2,456 Views)

Chourus capability map web site shows Greater than 10 Mps and Greater than 20 Mps with correct modem and plan.....how can i check what my DSL connection is actually recieving?

Ultra VDSL is available at my gate (@ 5-10 Mps Upload & 15-70 Mps download), even at lowest rate it would be greatly improved.....address checker on vodafone site shows that i am on the best available? 

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 9 (2,454 Views)

Please start a thread in the correct section of the community, I have pointed this out above already

Speed is also related to the quality of the house wiring and if this is setup correct for a xDSL connection, Most issues are caused by poor house wiring

John

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 9 (2,445 Views)

As per your link...."When posting, don't worry too much about your topic being in the right place. If we think it's better suited anywhere else, we'll move the topic but leave a link from where it originally was, making it easy to find."

I strugled to start this post...i apologise that it is in the wrong place but dont know how to move it.

House is NEW.

It seems the issue is whats comming in...which may or may not be as a result of poor wiring but more to do with what performance is being sent from my ISP provider...you seeem reluctant to answer this? 

Futher googling has shown that ADSL2+ is also at my gate (New Zealand towns now in reach of high-speed ADSL2broadband - The following is a list of towns with 500 or more phone lines where broadband connections between 10Mbps and 20Mbps is now in reach of local residents.) - See more at: http://www.chorus.co.nz/chorus-completes-urban-adsl2-broadband-upgrade.

Again, this show vastly improved performance to what i am recieving. Given that wiring is fine, i am using the Modem provided by Vodafone do youhave any answers or solutions to improving the performance?

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 9 (2,439 Views)

I would move the thread to the correct place but I can't at the moment,

Just cause a house is new does not mean the telephone wiring is setup how it should to handle a xDSL connection for the best performance,

Can you 100% confirm you have a master filter installed on the telephone line coming into the house?

Do you use line filters?

What model Vodafone modem are you using and what software version is it running?

At the end of the day the Skype issue could be unrelared to the speed of your internet many other links in the chain so your Skype Video call can be made

John

Starter Poster

Message 7 of 9 (2,428 Views)
I'm picking Speed / performance is a good place to start given my connection is not sufficient, even though it all works at the start of the call.

I will try tech support for modem and maybe a remote session is possible to explore / answer questions.

You have not answered if Vodafone can provide a connection that will perform as per what is available? If the broadband connection i have was at full strength, what figures are likely?
Posted from Nokia Lumia 820
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 9 (2,415 Views)

On xDSL connections speed will vary due to many reasons, Speed is not fixed and is best effort from any ISP

1) Distance from the serving cabinet / exchange

2) Quality of house wiring

3) What the modem supports

I can't give you a direct answer about what speed you should expecting as I don't know about your setup / location / quality of house wiring or address

John

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff NikT Retired Staff
Message 9 of 9 (3,085 Views)

If the issue only occurs with the television, and not on other devices using Skype such as the laptop, it seems unlikely to be caused by your broadband connection - your speeds look fine (You may wish to check the 'sync rates' in the modem itself). Have you checked in with Panasonic to see if they have any updated software for the smart TV, or any reports of other customers with a similar problem?

I've popped the topic in the Home Broadband forum now. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors