Vdsl upload speed slow

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Vdsl upload speed slow

by Sur3dad Starter Poster
Message 1 of 29 (2,700 Views)
Hi there
I have a problem with my vdsl connection . I have a xbox one with a game called destiny(awesome game) but my problem is i cannot play it in the evenings . I can only play it during the day from about 6am until about 5 pm , but that is during working hours so i cannot play . It keeps trying to connect after 5pm and i get kicked off a lot that i stopped playing. I phone vodafone and explained my problem , they said its my wifi ( dont know what that would help) , they say im 1,8 km from exchange . I actualy drove it and i was 900 m away from exchange . I have vodafone modem and a netgear n600 that both can connect to the vdsl network ( not using both at the same time) at the moment its netgear ' s turn. I have the same problem on both just incase you are wondering. I phoned vodafone for the second time because I'm getting frustrated with this. The promise was that vdsl was 3x faster than adsl but like they say ( yea right) still need to see the prove. I was asked to do speed tests at Ookla and download speeds are anything from 1,5 mbits to 15 mbits and upload are 1.3 mbits to 1,5 mbits and latancys are 19 to 282 ms . The worst speed i got was to vodafone in auckland and i live on the North shore . The person i spoke to at vodafone call centre told me that was very good speed and that she can log a ticket and if there is nothing wrong i will have to pay for the call out . My xbox has its own speedtest and that really is bad 14mbits upload and 0,360 mbits download. The download increased the following day but if i randomly speed test and upload speed doesnot even show( maybe to slow). So i am waiting for vodafone to investigate and call me back ( we will wait and see) .
Posted from Apple iPad

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Vdsl upload speed slow

Message 23 of 29 (2,494 Views)
I am going to say thank you for all the help i got .this is realy a awesome forum for help and will keep using it.
As for my problem it seems there is nothing anybody can do . It seems i am to far from the exchange to get descent upload speeds so it anybody every looks this up there is no hope for vdsl if you stay 1 km from your exchange ( for good upload speeds)
Once again thanks.

View solution in original post

Posted from Apple iPad
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sur3dad
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 29 (2,697 Views)

The copper from a house does not always take the direct route to the exchange / cabinet it can run up and down streets and is quite common to

If the copper from your house runs 1.8km from the exhange you are not going to get VDSL as it's too far for VDSL to work the max limit is about 1.2km so you must be closer than 1.8km,

It's also not possible to get 14 Mbp/s uplink from VDSL the max you will see is about 10Mbp/s in New Zealand when living close to the exchange / cabinet

Speedtests should not be conducted over WiFi but LAN cable plugged direct into the modem or you will get even more inconsistent results due to WiFi interference, WiFi operates on public shared spectrum not licensed spectrum like moible networks

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 29 (2,684 Views)
My xbox is not on wifi and its download speed shows 14 mbit . My ipad shows that its slightly lower . I dont know how to show pictures because i have logged all my speed tests . For the vdsl and adsl debate why did vodafone not tell me it was not going to work for me , they told me it was 1,8 km from exchange so they knew it was to far. And that it would not have any benefit for me . I'm not into telecommunications so i would depend om them to make the right choice for me. I live in a straight line to the exchange there is no up and down streets in my street. I'm on vdsl 2+ dont know if that helps.
Posted from Apple iPad
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 29 (2,683 Views)

Further to this VDSL does not always offer lower latency over ADSL2+ due to the way DLM works on VDSL to make the line as stable as possible while offering the fastest speed

Check out this blog post about DLM on VDSL

http://juha.saarinen.org/8452

Retired Staff

Message 5 of 29 (2,681 Views)

Chorus would not have connected you up to VDSL if you were 1.8km from the exchange / cabinet

Retired Staff

Message 6 of 29 (2,677 Views)

Back to the main issue and it's only with one online game during certain hours correct?

Starter Poster

Message 7 of 29 (2,676 Views)
Did you see that guys speed i dont even get that my upload speed at best is 1, 5 mbit/s he has heaps more on all counts my speeds dont even compare to his .
I just want to play my game , maybe I'm the only person with this problem .
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 29 (2,675 Views)
Yes and it was vodafone that told me im 1,8 km away from the exchange. I did not know where the exchange was until they told me. I have a xbox one wired to my netgear n600 router / modem and i play the game destiny
Posted from Apple iPad
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 29 (2,672 Views)

Speed over any xDSL technology ADSL , ADSL2+ , VDSL2+ (broadband over copper) drops off the further away you get from the serving exchange / cabinet, The people that live near door to the exchange / cabinet are going to get much faster speeds than the people that live 5.5km from the same hardware

edit: ADSL , ADSL2+ works over far greater distance than VDSL, Trying to find a graph that reflects distance vs dropoff in speed

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8357

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 29 (2,652 Views)
Ok so if i have to believe everything i read then what i got is perfect , or is it. You are all giving me theory but did someone actualy test my line , Actualy have a look to see if it is actualy is perfect . I'm a service engineer and go to a job and it was reported as faulty but i could not fault it , is the customer wrong . Let me tell you what i have done today , i plugged my telephone in to my vdsl line ( read somewhere on these forums ) and i got .......a lot of crackle , is that normal ? Is there anybody on these forums that live at the max distance for vdsl to operate and what was there speeds , how can i compare mine to someone else's speed just to see what is true.
Posted from Apple iPad
Stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today