VOIP

Starter Poster

VOIP

by Idiom37 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 11 (585 Views)

Have recently received a letter from Vodafone stating that "Spark have announced they will be closing the PSTN Network"...

I thought the copper network was now "Owned" by Chorus. Chorus have said on their website that there is no closure ....Following in Italics is off the Chorus Website.

. As fewer and fewer people use the copper network we may eventually make the decision to switch it off, but that will be years from now, there will be plenty of notice and we will not leave anyone without an alternative.

However I am to be Upgraded to VOIP this month (yeah right).  I spoke to a Ninja who did not appear to know anything technical because there were so many questions I could not get an answer to.

In my previous life I worked for NZPO / Telecom as a senior member of the staff, having done Telephone installation, faults, cable work etc etc.....   This Ninja treated me like a moron.

Apparently VOIP still uses the copper line but Ninja was not sure.

We also have a St Johns alarm which may / may not work on VOIP.   Also prone to failure if we have a power cut.  Not a great situation to be in.   "Oh but you can use your cell phone if you need to call an ambulance..."  You tell that to a person who has fallen on the floor in the dark to go and get their cell phone and make a call.

Because my VDSL is slower than ADSL Ninja suggested I down grade...   Cant use VOIP on ADSL apparently.

Come on Vodafone, get your act together and train your Ninjas.

Community Manager

Re: VOIP

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 2 of 11 (581 Views)

@Idiom37

Thanks for your feedback.

St John's do offer VOIP-capable base stations but also wireless (mobile capable) versions, so would definitely check in with them on that point.

Re the Copper network and Spark PSTN - the copper network will be in place for some time but service like PSTN will no longer run over it natively instead it will run as IP traffic over copper, cable and fibre.

VOIP can technically run over ADSL but we don't recommend it.

Apologies for the slight confusion and thanks again for taking the time to let us know.

Cheers

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 11 (546 Views)

If I decide to go along with this upgrade I will need to have my modem relocated because it is in "The Office" and the St Johns Alarm is in the lounge area ( a central place for the remote calling pendent etc)

What are  the charactaristics of the Line Output from my Vodfone supplied Huawai VDSL modem.  Will I see 50 volts DC line voltage with 90 volts ring voltage capable of interfacing with a SBX6 (ex NZPO)?

Also what is the maximum number of hard wired phones that can be on this line should I decide not to continue using the SBX6.

It appears to me that these systems have been long forgotten and  no knowledge pertaining to the old telephone circuitry.

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 11 (518 Views)

It appears my previous post has gone into the "Too Hard Basket"

Further to St Johns alarm, the unit I have,  has a battery back up so in the event of a power failure the unit can be used to call St Johns via the PSTN. 

With the VOIP set up, the alarm system will still work but it will have "no one to talk too" because the modem has no power.  This is not a St John problem, it is due to a modem with no battery back up. 

In my humble opinion, there has been no thought gone into these situations.   If we opt out of the upgrade now, what is going to happen when we "Have to" have VOIP because the PSTN is being closed.

Community Manager

Message 5 of 11 (478 Views)

@Idiom37

Have you had a chance to check out the mobile St John's units? I don't have the level of detailed knowledge of PSTN to answer your questions but I will find someone who does! 

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 11 (434 Views)

Before I involve St John, I would like to know if my request with your "Ninja" about my VDSL is being addressed.  

My home is 650 meters from the local exchange (Not 1.8 meters and I mean meters not Kilometers according to Ninja). My maximum speed is 15 Kbs and 6 kbs. I was to expect a call from Vodafone Sales as Ninja was supposed to organise, so far nothing.

Broadband needs to be up to spec before I entertain changing to VOIP.

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 11 (395 Views)

Dear Fair Go,

Once again we are having communication problems with Vodafone.  They have come up with a plan which makes our medical alarm a "No Go system" under their new service Voice over Internet Protocol. 

Apparently I have to speak to the alarm company and get them to sort something out.  Apparently the alarm will not work if there is a power failure.  I was told that we should use our cell phone to make contact in the event of power failure.  You tell that to someone who has fallen in the dark to go find their cell phone and ring for help.   They have to be joking.

They have told me I can Opt out of this system but in the future we are going to have to go onto this system.  

I have got a very slow VDSL system and Vodafone have ignored my request to check it out.  They tell me I am 1.8 meters away from the main exchange (I think they meant 1.8 Km) but in actual fact I am only 650 meters maximum from the exchange so VDSL will be slow. They will downgrade me to ADSL but then this VOIP system is not guaranteed to work apparently.

I have asked some technical questions of Vodafone and they have not answered these.  This is through a Vodafone Community Board where I thought a question in written english would be easier for Vodafone to understand.

Dear Vodafone,

Now that I have your attention I want my questions answered as per previous posts.

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 11 (372 Views)

I now notice that the VOIP LED on my Huawei HG659 is alight and flashing.  Has Vodafone decided I am going to have VOIP if I like it or not?

Well done Vodafone for being so helpful (Yeah Right) in answering my questions (Yeah Right).

Is there a Telco out there who would like to help?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Message 9 of 11 (355 Views)

Hi @Idiom37 - I can understand your frustration, but unfortunately this isn't something we can sort out via a forum post. It would be best to send me a private message with your customer number, full name and contact information so I can ask a tech to get in touch and help give you a bit more clarity on the situation.

Also please keep in mind that the staff who visit these forums do so during their free time, so you may not always get an answer as quickly as you would like. Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 11 (258 Views)

I am now well and truely annoyed with Vodafone.       Promises, promises promises about getting information.

I name Mike Hales and Lon for promising me answers to technical questions that they cant answer.

Upgrade date is 5th July and I need answers NOW !!!!!!!

Bugger it, I may as well opt out of VOIP and warn others that Vodafone's Ninjas are not trained for "Technical Questions".

Tempting to look at other ISP's.

Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 9w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors