VOIP

Highlighted
Starter Poster

VOIP

by Idiom37 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (168 Views)

Have recently received a letter from Vodafone stating that "Spark have announced they will be closing the PSTN Network"...

I thought the copper network was now "Owned" by Chorus. Chorus have said on their website that there is no closure ....Following in Italics is off the Chorus Website.

. As fewer and fewer people use the copper network we may eventually make the decision to switch it off, but that will be years from now, there will be plenty of notice and we will not leave anyone without an alternative.

However I am to be Upgraded to VOIP this month (yeah right).  I spoke to a Ninja who did not appear to know anything technical because there were so many questions I could not get an answer to.

In my previous life I worked for NZPO / Telecom as a senior member of the staff, having done Telephone installation, faults, cable work etc etc.....   This Ninja treated me like a moron.

Apparently VOIP still uses the copper line but Ninja was not sure.

We also have a St Johns alarm which may / may not work on VOIP.   Also prone to failure if we have a power cut.  Not a great situation to be in.   "Oh but you can use your cell phone if you need to call an ambulance..."  You tell that to a person who has fallen on the floor in the dark to go and get their cell phone and make a call.

Because my VDSL is slower than ADSL Ninja suggested I down grade...   Cant use VOIP on ADSL apparently.

Come on Vodafone, get your act together and train your Ninjas.

Community Manager

Re: VOIP

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 2 of 6 (164 Views)

@Idiom37

Thanks for your feedback.

St John's do offer VOIP-capable base stations but also wireless (mobile capable) versions, so would definitely check in with them on that point.

Re the Copper network and Spark PSTN - the copper network will be in place for some time but service like PSTN will no longer run over it natively instead it will run as IP traffic over copper, cable and fibre.

VOIP can technically run over ADSL but we don't recommend it.

Apologies for the slight confusion and thanks again for taking the time to let us know.

Cheers

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 6 (129 Views)

If I decide to go along with this upgrade I will need to have my modem relocated because it is in "The Office" and the St Johns Alarm is in the lounge area ( a central place for the remote calling pendent etc)

What are  the charactaristics of the Line Output from my Vodfone supplied Huawai VDSL modem.  Will I see 50 volts DC line voltage with 90 volts ring voltage capable of interfacing with a SBX6 (ex NZPO)?

Also what is the maximum number of hard wired phones that can be on this line should I decide not to continue using the SBX6.

It appears to me that these systems have been long forgotten and  no knowledge pertaining to the old telephone circuitry.

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 6 (101 Views)

It appears my previous post has gone into the "Too Hard Basket"

Further to St Johns alarm, the unit I have,  has a battery back up so in the event of a power failure the unit can be used to call St Johns via the PSTN. 

With the VOIP set up, the alarm system will still work but it will have "no one to talk too" because the modem has no power.  This is not a St John problem, it is due to a modem with no battery back up. 

In my humble opinion, there has been no thought gone into these situations.   If we opt out of the upgrade now, what is going to happen when we "Have to" have VOIP because the PSTN is being closed.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 5 of 6 (61 Views)

@Idiom37

Have you had a chance to check out the mobile St John's units? I don't have the level of detailed knowledge of PSTN to answer your questions but I will find someone who does! 

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 6 (17 Views)

Before I involve St John, I would like to know if my request with your "Ninja" about my VDSL is being addressed.  

My home is 650 meters from the local exchange (Not 1.8 meters and I mean meters not Kilometers according to Ninja). My maximum speed is 15 Kbs and 6 kbs. I was to expect a call from Vodafone Sales as Ninja was supposed to organise, so far nothing.

Broadband needs to be up to spec before I entertain changing to VOIP.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5d ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors