VDSL - very slow upload speed

Staff

Re: VDSL - very slow upload speed

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 11 of 17 (162 Views)

hi

For your wifi, it is recommended to have your setting set to auto. This is because the frequency 2,4Ghz spans from 2.400-2.500MHz. Other devices share this frequency as well. eg- Bluetooth, wireless baby monitors, drone remotes , wireless cameras etc..

your computer and phone, internet devices on wireless LAN can only see wireless LAN networks.

Its similar to this. - imagine you are in a room with lots of multicultural people. You and your friend speak English, but then you have other people speaking different languages. now you don't understand the other languages so you ignore them only listening to your friend who speaks English. You can hear them still though. thats interference. you might even have other people speaking in English. Those are your Other Wireless SSIDs around you.

The modems radio can see these. So when it scans the area around it, it takes into considerations this interference and grades the channels accordingly and chooses the best available for data transfer. When you fix a channel it may work for a while and then it might not as those other devices and swap its radio signal around affecting that. So you have to manually repeat those steps.

2 wifi can exist on the same channel as long as what we call "co-channel" interference is acceptable and as long as there is no data being transmitted at the same time on those 2 wifi. 

That's why when you have better speeds during the day sometime and really bad speed during the evening or night ( when everyone is back)  If you speed is unbearable slow just turn the wifi off and on when it's on Auto channel selection.

regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

by Falkh Starter Poster
Message 12 of 17 (138 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I don't even know why I am still commenting on this community site as I think it is absolutely useless. 

Instead of taking care of my vdsl slow upload speed i was told by a vodafone ninja to upgrade to fibre.

What a great recommendation, why should i upgrade to fibre if they can't even get my vdsl problem sorted. 

I might become a ninja as well and get paid for doing nothing - how good is that?

By the way... my connection starts cutting out frequently and the speed is slower than before. 

Screenshot (6).png

What a useless service!

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 13 of 17 (119 Views)

@Falkh wrote:

Instead of taking care of my vdsl slow upload speed i was told by a vodafone ninja to upgrade to fibre.

What a great recommendation, why should i upgrade to fibre if they can't even get my vdsl problem sorted. 

Actually if there is fibre available at your address that is a much much much better option.

You will not have these same issues.-- Fibre is a lot better than copper, your service will not be impacted by a lot of things that cause unhappiness with xDSL service, eg: number of subscribers connected to the cabinet, distance from cabinet, you will have much less impact when adverse weather / line faults.

Fibre - it either works or it doesn't (due to a fault, probably someone chopped a cable) and you will get the speeds (uplink and downlink) that you subscribe to. It is not dependant on all sorts of factors like an xDSL service.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
dmn
Starter Poster

by dmn Starter Poster
Message 14 of 17 (88 Views)

My upload speeds are unnaceptable!

Up VDSL
Downstream speed (Mbit/s):
Upstream speed (Mbit/s):
Access type:
VDSL

0.379 upload speed.

And my already very slow download speed almost stops when I am uploading.

If this can not be fixed asap, I'm paying the contract break fee and moving to Spark.

Starter Poster

by Falkh Starter Poster
Message 15 of 17 (67 Views)

Thanks for the reply sebastianbd.

What is involved to connect fibre to my address? 

Do i need to get an electrician to install new ports in the house? New modem?

New wiring from the road to the house?

What is generally involved in upgrading to fibre?

Also what are the prices for fiber connections?

The vodafone website does not allow me to upgrade to fibre, only vdsl.

Thanks

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 16 of 17 (65 Views)

@Falkh wrote:

Thanks for the reply sebastianbd.

What is involved to connect fibre to my address? 

Do i need to get an electrician to install new ports in the house? New modem?

New wiring from the road to the house?

What is generally involved in upgrading to fibre?

Also what are the prices for fiber connections?

The vodafone website does not allow me to upgrade to fibre, only vdsl.

Thanks

1) What is involved to connect fibre to my address? 

Chorus / LFC Technician will install/build fibre from the street into your home. Install an ONT (Optical Network Terminal).

2) Do i need to get an electrician to install new ports in the house? New modem?

No you wouldn't need to. The Chorus / LFC tech will install the fibre into your home, and install the ONT where the fibre connection terminates, and your modem plugs into. If you do need a new modem for fibre, Vodafone would provide you with this.

3) New wiring from the road to the house?

Yes

4) What is generally involved in upgrading to fibre?

As above

5) Also what are the prices for fiber connections?

The fibre install is free. Fibre plans are the same price as ADSL / VDSL plans.

6) The vodafone website does not allow me to upgrade to fibre, only vdsl.

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/internet-plans/ > Click on Check Plans and then type in your address. Does it advise Fibre is available? If not, then Fibre is not available in your area yet...

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Highlighted
dmn
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by dmn Starter Poster
Message 17 of 17 (53 Views)

Dear Ninja, how do I get supoport from you on my upload speed issue?

Stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors