VDSL drops out continuously

Starter Poster

VDSL drops out continuously

by LanceH Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (249 Views)

I have had four weeks of good service since upgrading from adsl to vdsl . Everything connected worked fine , now for the last few days continuous dropping of the vdsl service . It reconnects then drops then reconnects drops etc ... eventually it stabilises then last for either a few hours , or minutes then it starts again... I have checked everything , cables jacks etc , done an isolation test , got a good connection then ... any thoughts?

Posted from Apple iPad
Senior Contributor

Re: VDSL drops out continuously

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 9 (238 Views)
Do you have a master splitter?
Posted from Samsung SM-G950F
Starter Poster

by LanceH Starter Poster
Message 3 of 9 (234 Views)

Hi , thanks for the reply . No , no master splitter , modem came in post , plugged it in , used cables etc and all worked fine , now , had a few days of short and long term drops , currently up for two hours Smiley Happy ... I notice the downstream noise safety coefficient changes to a negative number before the drop. I've read about master splitters , and can't afford to pay for that , wouldn't have changed from adsl if I had known it would be a requirement ...

Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by LanceH Starter Poster
Message 4 of 9 (143 Views)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this , it's been pretty much the same these last six days  . Periods of stability , four to six hours up , then out and not sync ing for a period ,then up again. Today down lots , not very stable. I'm thinking of going back to adsl , never had a problem with it ... Can I do that ? Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by LanceH Starter Poster
Message 5 of 9 (127 Views)

Does anyone know the best way forward with  resolving this? When I updated my service and changed to vest , it was a mission getting it done , getting transferred between departments repeating the same questions and answers , not really being understood etc. is there a specific number to call to get decent service? I now have a big speed decrease as well as drops of service ... Any help from people's previous experiences?

Posted from Apple iPad
Highlighted
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 9 (120 Views)

@LanceHThis will be a house wiring issue impacting the xDSL connection VDSL is very sensitve compared to ADSL

Have you got a Naked or Clothed VDSL connection? If Naked (no home line) Then you want a master DSL jack point the modem plugs into and all other telephone jack points / telephone wiring is isolated from the telephone jack point the modem is plugged into if you have a clothed connection then you want a VDSL master filter installed and remove the line filters

JohnR

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Retired Staff

Message 7 of 9 (118 Views)

Check out this thread on Geekzone about VDSL and getting the best out of it

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=105744

JohnR

Starter Poster

by LanceH Starter Poster
Message 8 of 9 (116 Views)

Hi , thanks for the replies. I guess my wondering was regarding how it was , it seemed , perfectly fine for three weeks then all the drop outs started.

It's clothed , and from my research its prob the house wiring and the need for a master splitter . If I had known this when upgrading I probably wouldn't have bothered as ,for me the speed upgrade isn't significant from adsl ...

Don't want to spend more money on it re getting master splitter installed so maybe I will have to try and go back to adsl . I'm just loath to deal with the phone customer service as it's just one big run around getting transferred around and around for a very long time.

Thank you for your link to getting the best of vdsl.

Posted from Apple iPad
Retired Staff

Message 9 of 9 (114 Views)

Moving back to ADSL is not the best idea for a start you maybe able to figure out the issue yourself and even install a master filter they are quite cheap to purchase and guides are on Geekzone how to install them

JohnR

Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today