Use other moderms for Fiber network.

Starter Poster

Use other moderms for Fiber network.

by akua28 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (1,349 Views)

Hi My Lovely Vodafone Community:

I live in CHCH. I started using fiber network in Nov 2014. It's VERY STABLE and VERY FAST. (Enable's fiber network.)

I love it very much. 

Setup:

My moderms setup is like this.

Enable fiber network

to

1. Huawei fiber moderm (Provided by Enable)

to

2. Huawei HG659 (Provided by Vodafone)

to

3. My moderm (provided by myself, home wifi is hosted on it)

Question:

I know the fiber moderm (1) is irreplacable. So, i wonder is it possible to connect my moderm (3) directly to the fiber moderm (1)?

Benefit:

I like to keep things clean.  My moderm (3) has a internal disk, it acts like a home cloud server. So, I would really like to keep it running. That seems to make the moderm (2) reduntent.

If i can connect moderm(3) directly to moderm(1), I can use moderm 2 for repeating wifi signal for wider coverage.

Staff Lon
Staff

Re: Use other moderms for Fiber network.

by Staff Lon Staff
Message 2 of 4 (1,322 Views)

Yup, you should be able to do that - what you're wanting to do is run the HG659 in bridge mode. The trouble is finding someone to help you with the setup. This is slightly more complex LAN support, which isn't something our staff are trained to deal with. Smiley Sad

I Googled a bit and found a Gameplanet forum post talking about the exact sort of thing you're wanting to do - the guys there seem to have fiddled around and made it work, so perhaps it will be of help to you too. Smiley Happy

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/494702-Huawei-HG659-Bridge-Mode-%28Vodafone%29

Please note that I am no longer a permanent moderator of this forum and only check messages during my free time.
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by akua28 Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (1,300 Views)

Lon wrote:

Yup, you should be able to do that - what you're wanting to do is run the HG659 in bridge mode. The trouble is finding someone to help you with the setup. This is slightly more complex LAN support, which isn't something our staff are trained to deal with. Smiley Sad

I Googled a bit and found a Gameplanet forum post talking about the exact sort of thing you're wanting to do - the guys there seem to have fiddled around and made it work, so perhaps it will be of help to you too. Smiley Happy

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/494702-Huawei-HG659-Bridge-Mode-%28Vodafone%29

Thanks very much for the reply.

I haven't gone as far as setting up bridge router.

My moderm can't seem to get an IP from my fiber moderm somehow.

I suppose when i connect my HG659 to the enable fiber moderm, the HG659 gets a dynamic IP from it. (Without passing any username or password.) 

So, i had my moderm connecting to the fiber moderm the same way, but fails to get an IP.

Now the question is, is there any authentication going on with the HG659?

Checking using my HG659, my gate way is: 118.92.227.254

And the ip HG659 got assigned is: 118.92.225.***

If there's no authentication on HG659, my moderm should have connected fine directly.

Any one can help ?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

by Regular Contributor kamrind Regular Contributor
Message 4 of 4 (1,204 Views)

hi @akua28 

As @sebastianbd mentioned in another post:

Does your third party router support VLAN tagging and do you have it set to 10?

- Kamrin

- Kamrin 

(I am not an employee of Vodafone New Zealand and i am not associated to the social media team. I am a regular Vodafone New Zealand customer that volunteers my time here to help make Vodafone a better place for all)

Vodafone Final Sig.png

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today