Ultra hub connected via ADSL, not VDSL

Starter Poster

Ultra hub connected via ADSL, not VDSL

by Zero Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (528 Views)

I've recently set up a new broadband connection with Vodafone and received the Ultra Hub. I've been connected for about a week & a half, but I've noticed that it is connected via ADSL, not VDSL.

VDSL is definitely available in my area, and my plan supports it (all of Vodafone's correspondence refers to VDSL).

I tried online chat with a "ninja" last night, but was initially send a link to a 2 min basic set up video (which of course I've already done - hence the ADSL connection), then asked to restart the modem - which both killed the chat session and failed to make any difference to the connection.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the Ultra Hub to connect via VDSL instead of ADSL? Or is this something that can only be changed at Vodafone's end?

Additional info, if it helps:

On the Ultra Hub admin panel, under Settings > WAN, it shows WAN ADSL as 'Connected' and WAN VDSL as 'Unconfigured'.

Firmware version is 17.1.7875-2461002-CRF731.

Speedtest results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7144370475

Starter Poster

Re: Ultra hub connected via ADSL, not VDSL

by Zero Starter Poster
Message 2 of 7 (317 Views)

Anyone got anything here? Closest info I can find online is this page, but these settings don't exactly match the Ultra Hub options. I've tried matching it as closely as possible but no luck. The Ultra Hub is still connecting via ADSL, not VDSL.

New Poster

[ Edited ]
by RogerCruse78 New Poster
Message 3 of 7 (260 Views)

Unless you can physically move your home closer to the exchange, then you, like me are stuck with ADSL until the rollout of ultrafast broadband arrives.

Starter Poster

by Zero Starter Poster
Message 4 of 7 (255 Views)
Vodafone assured me that VDSL is available at my address.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 5 of 7 (162 Views)

Hi VDSL is only avalaible around 1.5KM from the exchange. Thats the usable distance. This distance is not the" as the crow flies distance" rather the length of the actual cable.

check on the chorus.co.nz website or the national Broadband map for availability.

The RGW Ultrahub is preconfigued with the Internet profiles and the chipset automatically recognizes what it is connected (ADSL,VDSL there are inbuilt coding for these in the RGW by the vendor of the Chipset which you do not see on the GUI) No special configuration is required.

The Ultrahub is also capable of VLAN 10 tagged WAN connections, ADSL, VDSL and with External Hardware ( K5160 dongle) can also connect to mobile Cellular as well. so its 1 Device for all access methods.

If you are on ADSL still that means either you are not swapped over at the exchange or you are too far away from the Exchange.

because to swap from ADSL to VDSL you literlly have to jumper the connection to a VDSL capable network equipment which mean the ADSL will be turned off or have to be provisioned for a VDSL connection. 

Also a crucial thing to remember is that going to VDSL doesnt mean you have blazing fast speeds. In a case you are far from the exchange then its better to be on ADSL as you will have similar performance but a better stable line than VDSL. so distance matters a lot.

hope this helps

Regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

by Zero Starter Poster
Message 6 of 7 (153 Views)

Hi

Both the Chorus website and the National Broadband Map show that VDSL is available at my address.

All of the correspondence received from Vodafone during the account setup referred to it as a VDSL connection as well. So I'm surprised that anything else would be required to switch us over - I'd expect that to be taken care of by Vodafone during the account set up.

How do I go about determining whether VDSL would be faster and, if so, getting switched over to that option?

Thanks

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 7 of 7 (126 Views)

Hi

Could you PM me your account number i ll take a look.

I suspect chorus hasnt migrated you to VDSL or you are on VDSL but really far away.

regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 5w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors