Trying to get Thunderbird email client to "see" custom folders in ClearNet account

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Trying to get Thunderbird email client to "see" custom folders in ClearNet account

by GJacobs Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (349 Views)

How do I get Thunderbird to "see" custom folders in my ClearNet account so that I can work with them?

I'm one of the people still stuck trying to get my email out of a ClearNet account because their are no clear and *complete* instructions as to how to do this if your ClearNet account has custom folders.

Reading online suggests the Thunderbird email client (Mozilla) is able to act as a go-between different accounts.

However I cannot get Thunderbird to "see" the custom folders.

I have set up the account as IMAP, and unchecked Accounts settings > Server Settings > Advanced > Show only subscribed folders.

According to Thunderbird help files indicate that this is supposed to then show a list of other folders, to which users can choose which to subscribe to.

However, for me nothing happens. Does this mean that the ClearNet folders are in some unique setup that can't be reached by IMAP????

(I know there is this description: http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Community-Spotlight-on-Vodafone/Exporting-emails-in-folders-from-...   That starts from having IMAP set up and works from _local_ folders to Gmail. What I'm trying to do is to get Thunderbird to even see the custom folders at ClearNet at all.)

How do I get Thunderbird to "see" the custom folders so that I can work with them?

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Trying to get Thunderbird email client to "see" custom folders in ClearNet account

Message 4 of 4 (272 Views)

My somewhat step-by-step detailed write-up on this can be found here: 

https://sciblogs.co.nz/code-for-life/2017/10/10/migrating-email-accounts-custom-folders-gmail/

There are a few quirks I've yet to iron out, but the basic thing does get there, even if it takes a bit of effort.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author GJacobs
‎04-11-2017 04:34 PM

All Replies
Starter Poster

Re: Trying to get Thunderbird email client to "see" custom folders in ClearNet account

Message 2 of 4 (308 Views)

Anyone, please? I've already spent quite a lot of time on this from both Thunderbird and Vodafone "sides" of this.

Esp. from Vodafone - as far as I can tell this is your server somehow not letting a very widely used email client see custom folders through a standard protocol (IMAP). This is needs to be resolved soon because your company is choosing to close email services. (Point is neither are in my hands or my doing.)

In addition to what is in my post above, I have now tried renaming the folders to remove spaces and non-alphanumeric characters. Nothing has changed; the Thunderbird email client still cannot see them (AFAICT).

Currently the only thing I can think of that *might* work is a ridiculous process of first archiving the contents of the inbox into a folder, then moving the contents of each folder in turn into the inbox space (using ClearNet web client), transferring that inbox content to the desktop client (Thunderbird) through IMAP, moving the contents to a local folder on the desktop client, then shuffling everything around again on the ClearNet client to set up the next cycle (And whilst doing that I'd have to keep an eye out for incoming email, and manually filing that to someplace to be resolved later.) While it might just work, it would be very clumsy, prone to mistakes, and take a LOT of time.

I *could* simply put all the mail into the inbox, then transfer the lot, but naturally several days re-filing stuff because you don't seem to have a reasonable solution doesn't appeal!

While I am writng, why couldn't Vodafone have simply added a link/button to the web-based clients for ClearNet, etc., that let the user pull down a compressed archive of their email? It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work. This seems the obvious thing to do, and I'm puzzled as to why it wasn't done from the get-go. I believe properly formatted mail archives can be read into pretty much any modern email client, and uploaded into most services (e.g. Gmail, etc). It'd be much more efficient than hauling the mail off the servers via IMAP, etc. - email servers aren't very good at bulk transfers, they're not designed for that. This solution would have the issue that email that arrived after the archive was created would have to be tackled manually, but that's trivial.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 4 (305 Views)

*Sigh* 

This seems to be a Thunderbird quirk. (I've alerted them.)

I'll set up a better explanation on my blog (at Sciblogs) and link to it here later, as once this is understood getting the folders using Thunderbird is straight-forward.

The key "trick" is to quit Thunderbird, possibly several times, perhaps waiting for an underfined length of time. On opening it again (one time or other…!), it'll present all the custom folders and start loading up all the contents of all of them. (Not giving you a chance to subscribe to any particular ones, you just get all of them.)

This doesn't appear to be documented at Thunderbird's site (I've let them know that, too), and conflicts with the behaviour reported in older reports online.

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 4 (273 Views)

My somewhat step-by-step detailed write-up on this can be found here: 

https://sciblogs.co.nz/code-for-life/2017/10/10/migrating-email-accounts-custom-folders-gmail/

There are a few quirks I've yet to iron out, but the basic thing does get there, even if it takes a bit of effort.

Solution
Accepted by topic author GJacobs
‎04-11-2017 04:34 PM
Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 10w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 1 Contributor