Testing a Fax

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Testing a Fax

by maigret Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (1,245 Views)

I am attempting set up our Brother printer that has a Fax capability to send Fax direct from computer (not print out first).

There was a number in the past that one could send a Fax and receive back with diagnostic report. Does this still exist.

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Testing a Fax

Message 3 of 3 (2,329 Views)

Looks like the service has been discontinued. Shame, it was much more convenient than sending a test page to a friend. The number (automated) would dial you back and resend the Fax so you could see what was received with a diagnostic report on error rates etc. It was a good way to test the line in Dialup days too.

Funny story

I used my computer back in 1996 as a Fax with the Dial up modem. New concept. I received a Fax from a Law firm but it had big black lines on the received copy. I rang them to tell them to clean their scanner. The woman I spoke to was most indignant at the suggestion that they had faulty equipment and the fault Must be with my Fax. When I pointed out I was viewing Fax on a computer screen she went very quiet. Clear Fax came through later.....

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author maigret
‎20-02-2016 09:18 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 2 of 3 (1,236 Views)

Hi Maigret

I didn't know that sort of service *was* available. I found a discussion on Geekzone from 2012 about needing to test a fax machine, and the Telecom and TelstraClear services having both been retired (before that discussion, four years ago).

I think I would have to suggest finding someone with a fax machine to test to. I think 2Talk VOiP might support fax? You could sign up for one of their test 028 numbers online for free and then send a fax to it..?

"Go Free"

https://www.2talk.co.nz/voice.html?p=home

and "Faxing"

https://www.2talk.co.nz/cloudpbx.html

Cheers

Dylan

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 3 (2,330 Views)

Looks like the service has been discontinued. Shame, it was much more convenient than sending a test page to a friend. The number (automated) would dial you back and resend the Fax so you could see what was received with a diagnostic report on error rates etc. It was a good way to test the line in Dialup days too.

Funny story

I used my computer back in 1996 as a Fax with the Dial up modem. New concept. I received a Fax from a Law firm but it had big black lines on the received copy. I rang them to tell them to clean their scanner. The woman I spoke to was most indignant at the suggestion that they had faulty equipment and the fault Must be with my Fax. When I pointed out I was viewing Fax on a computer screen she went very quiet. Clear Fax came through later.....

Solution
Accepted by topic author maigret
‎20-02-2016 09:18 AM
Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today