Smartdns issues using Vodafone broadband

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Smartdns issues using Vodafone broadband

by Frequent Poster Paul Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 6 (1,482 Views)

Hi

I've been using a smartdns service since last year, and initially it worked great. Then around Novermber last year I started to experience problems, and would like to know if anyone else has experienced these issues.

Images and stylesheets not loading on BBC iPlayer and Netflix websites and mobile apps. BBC apps not loading on Samsung smartTV.

I think I've tracked it down to this curious issue.

Some of the responses to HTTP Get requests are taking exactly 40 seconds to respond, and the response does not contain the correct content.

For example, if I request an image from the BBC multiple times, 5 out of 10 times the response takes 40 seconds, and instead of containing the image data, it contains "<HTML></HTML>"

This truely is a curious one, and Overplay and Unotelly have been unable to help.

Cheers

Paul

Starter Poster

Re: Smartdns issues using Vodafone broadband

by springynz Starter Poster
Message 2 of 6 (1,378 Views)

Hi Paul

I am experincing a very simila issues with this not just with iPlayer but also some websites as well. Were you ever able to get to the botom of it?

Thanks

Frequent Poster

Message 3 of 6 (1,372 Views)

Yeh I was experiencing the issue on multiple sites, including Stuff.co.nz. Vodafone said they had tested with Unblock-US and asked me to try it, but I had exactly the same issue.

They have caching server bypass addresses which can be used for testing, and I was able to verify that the issue was indeed with their caching server. It worked perfectly when using the caching bypass ip address.

Vodafone are still investigating the issue. I'll try and remember to post back on here if I hear anything.

I have a colleague using Telecom, and they can provide cache bypass static ip addresses to all customers for no extra change and smartdns works great. With Slignshot you can login to your account and enable/disable cache bypass at will.

It's a shame Vodafone don't do the same.

Starter Poster

by springynz Starter Poster
Message 4 of 6 (1,353 Views)

Thanks Paul I have logged a job with vodafone to and will come back if I here anything

Frequent Poster

Message 5 of 6 (1,266 Views)

I tried the same test on my friends Vodafone (old TCL) cable broadband and it too had the same issue.

Vodafone advised me that the fibre and cable networks use the same proxy, so this issue is across the whole of Vodafone's network.

I wanted to switch across to UFB fibre, but I'm going to hold off for a while and see if they can fix the issue, I don't want to be stuck in a contract just in case I need to switch provider.

Frequent Poster

Message 6 of 6 (716 Views)

Just as an update. Vodafone put me on a temporary static ip address so that I could bypass the proxy. This was supposed to be a temporary sollution while the issue was investigated, so I didn't have to pay for the static address.

I wanted to upgrade to Fibre, and Vodafone's fibre network uses the same proxy as their ADSL and VDSL networks, so I was going to get the same issue.

We've ended up leaving Vodafone for My Republic, and I can report that smart DNS works well on their fibre network.

Conclusion. If you want to use Smart DNS, Vodafone is not going to work reliably.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today