Slow speeds on Fibre Unlimited Ultra Fast 1000 and phone calls using my own router.

Starter Poster

Slow speeds on Fibre Unlimited Ultra Fast 1000 and phone calls using my own router.

by paegus Starter Poster
Message 1 of 2 (177 Views)

The main issue is that despite having gigabit connection, the most we ever see using speedtest.net to the nearest vodafone server is under 90Mbps in both directions. This used to be 800 to 900Mbps down and upwards of 200Mbps up.

I understand that connecting to services around the world will be variable but even a local connection to the same city is never more than 10% the advertised speed.

The computer in use is physically connected to the HG659 router via a short Cat6 cable that can transfer files between computers on the LAN at gigabit speeds.

Which brings me to my next question. I have a D-Link router that has vastly better WiFi range, NAT Loopback/Hairpinning (which is incredibly useful) and proper local DNS services (also very useful) so I'd really like to use that router instead of the HG659. Unfortunately I can't get it to talk to the Chorus ONT modem at all. It never gets a WAN ip.

Lastly, on the assumption that I can get the DLink modem to talk to the ONT modem, can the HG659 still be used to give us a telephone line? What ports will I need to forward to the HG659's WAN (now LAN) IP to make sure we can still make/receive phone calls?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Slow speeds on Fibre Unlimited Ultra Fast 1000 and phone calls using my own router.

by paegus Starter Poster
Message 2 of 2 (168 Views)

Would setting the HG659 to bridge mode between the fibre modem and another router allow the use of the other router for things like NAT Loopback/Hairpinning/Reflection and local dns services while maintaining VOIP services?

Stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 7w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 1 Contributor
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today