Slow VDSL Upload Speed - please help troubleshoot before I log a fault

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Slow VDSL Upload Speed - please help troubleshoot before I log a fault

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (492 Views)

Hi there - we moved to Clarks Beach several months ago, and have been very disappointed with the VDSL upload speed (approx 18down/0.75up), especially having moved from a house with fibre Judging by what I've read on this forum and other places, our upload is particularly slow.

DSL stats are as follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBmV):
Downstream output power (dBmV):
None
DSL up time:
3 days 6 hours 33 minutes 27 seconds
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can anybody see anything in the DSL stats that would suggest a cause? Is there anything I can check here at home?

We are right in the middle of the >20Mbps broadband availability map from Chorus:

Screenshot 2017-04-01 10.54.13.png

We have an alarm that was monitored by the previous owners, and we don't use the monitoring service, but the phone lines will still be passing through the alarm system. Would this possibly affect the speed?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 
Starter Poster

Re: Slow VDSL Upload Speed - please help troubleshoot before I log a fault

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 2 of 10 (455 Views)

When the Chorus guy came to set us up with VDSL, he got up in the roof and confirmed that there was a "VDSL splitter" (his term, which I would guess that he means filter).

Here's where the phone line comes in at the side of the house, and goes back down to enter the house at some point:

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

Master jack:

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

Kitchen jack (we're not using it):

IMG_2912.JPG

Lounge jack, where we have modem and phone plugged in. The smaller box which is labelled "CAT 5e" on its cover, is relatively new compared to the rest of the jack points:

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

To me, these things seem probable:

• Copper from street --> side of house --> alarm
  • Master jack --> kitchen jack
  • Lounge wiring looks newer (ie white sheath, older wiring in master and kitchen is grey)
Starter Poster

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 3 of 10 (378 Views)
Bump... can anyone offer any insight to the info above?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 4 of 10 (337 Views)

Help?!

Starter Poster

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 5 of 10 (227 Views)

A fault was logged via email - I received a text with the INC#. Three hours later another text advising the fault was investigated and resolved (but no change in internet performance).

So we contacted Vodafone support. Throughout being transferred to several different people, it was suggested that we try downgrading to ADSL, which we declined. The result of the call was that we were no better off. However, later that evening I got a text saying that our new connection was scheduled to be activated the following morning. I called to ensure they weren't going to activate the ADSL, which I was assured it wasn't going to be. The next day ADSL was activated :-(

VDSL --> Download=17-18Mbps, Upload=0.85Mbps

Upstream line attenuation = 9.1

Downstream line attenuation = 29.7

ADSL --> Download=11Mbps, Upload=1Mbps

ADSL Stats:

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
ADSL_2plus
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBmV):
Downstream output power (dBmV):
None
DSL up time:
2 days 12 hours 11 minutes 15 seconds

I intend to get it changed back to VDSL, with hope of improving our house wiring...

Starter Poster

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 6 of 10 (211 Views)

So I mapped our complete home phone circuit, in hope that someone can point out how we might make some gains in performance.

Electrical Circuit.JPG

Starter Poster

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 7 of 10 (210 Views)

ETP --> Master Jack area (but doesn't terminate to jack at this point) see black dashed line.

Master Jack area --> DSL splitter (this cable is the old grey non-twisted 6-core as per photo in original post) see yellow dashed line.

DSL splitter --> modem (CAT3 cable), see red dashed line.

The CAT3 cable is used for both the phone line and the modem line (one twisted pair for each). What I would like to know is if there would be a high potential for signal degradation, or crosstalk due to the CAT3 cable catering for both phone and VDSL...?

Also whether the old 6-core grey wire is hurting it.

I've read that CAT3 is reliable for up to 10Mbps and 16 MHz. Also, CAT3 is an unshielded twisted pair cable.

If someone with relevant experience/knowledge of the above recommends it, I would be happy to wire my DSL splitter directly to the yellow + black wires at the master jack area, and then run CAT5 or CAT6 directly to the modem.

Any advice is appreciated.

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 8 of 10 (193 Views)
@coffeebaron any ideas?

Cheers
I work in Mobile Technical Escalations and I volunteer my time here on the community helping out.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 9 of 10 (191 Views)

So a Tech came to your house when the connection was set up for VDSL and said you have a VDSL splitter. Besides getting on the roof what else did he do. From what you have shown there is no splitter/filter. Sounds like a right mess.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/networking-modems/other/auction-1300590453.htm

Issue here is if Chorus came to your place for the connection they have charged for a full install which means putting a spliter.filter in if needed. Seems this maynot have been done and work billed for that has not been done. If i was you i would.

1 - Call and ask for your VDSL to be put back on

2 - Get Chorus to come back and install a spliter [which VF should arrange through a fault]

3 - If you are not a heavey user of data move to home wireless product. If you are in 4G coverage you will get a lot faster then VDSL.

Starter Poster

by stilly Starter Poster
Message 10 of 10 (180 Views)

Thanks for chiming in guys.

I climbed up into the roof myself, in order to verify the splitter, and map the actual home phone circuit as per my sketch - there is definitely a splitter installed:

IMG_3042.JPG

I am not entirely certain that the splitter is VDSL compatible, as there are no other markings on the unit other than the white writing you can see. I did read on these forums that the 3 twisted wire pairs suggest it's for VDSL.

We're using at least 200GB/month, and would actually be more if the upload wasn't so pathetic. My Backblaze cloud backups are running further and further behind due to the upload speed not keeping up. Don't think we're in 4G coverage, and even if we were, I think it would be rather costly with our data usage.

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today