Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

[ Edited ]
by countrygrrl Starter Poster
Message 1 of 17 (1,072 Views)
I recently rang to upgrade our modem having been a customer for some time. A new B315 modem was sent and arrived today. We already have aerial on roof and cable. Instructions in the book accompanying the modem are not detailed enough and do not explain which port the aerial cable should be connected to. (There are two). We connected to port 1 and set the router settings in browser to Port 1. The setup is not straight forward. We placed new SIM in. On power up w expected things to be as straight forward as in the instructions but not the case after inputting Router name and wiFi key. Two hours later after studying all settings (switched back to old router to check settings in that in the hope we could glean something from that to help select the type of WLAN connection we still can’t connect. Why have we not had a technician to do this? I agreed to a 12 month contract again and usually when customers do this they get the benefit of a wired setup as well as a router and a technician to do this. At the meat we should have been given a step by step guide as current customers on how to connect the modem to the network.

I’m just wondering if this is a something and nothing issue or if we do need a technician.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Re: Rural Broadband - B315 Modem

Message 2 of 17 (1,036 Views)
Narcissistic as in, narcissistic injury after I made a sensible suggestion and having us pay for it with a junk one.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 17 (1,037 Views)
The last technician out here stuffed up installation and my husband had to take a day off to route the cable and take the nice big kink out of it before it worked and gave us faultless connection. Before that it was a crapy connection and ringing the staff the suggestion was that we are in a crappy area for reception. Not best pleased that the person coming out to fit puked his face at the thought of dropping cable through the roof and loft directly to the spot it should be for the router this using only 2-3 metres of cable instead of his ridiculous suggestion that it needed to come down my roof, down the outer wall, under my floor and up into the room. Clown would have put more kinks in it fitting it that way and out it down to bad reception. In fact he actually left after doinfg as I instructed with the connection being intermittent and said if it didn’t pick up it was tough. I thought to the cable having kinks. If it wasn’t for our own checking off the cable after researching problems with coaxial cable we would not be here as customers now. That technician can go and jump. It seemed to me he was only interested in e tending connection beyond the necessary length of cable so that he could literally add to the bill. Talk about cowboy. As a woman I am the only technical person in the house. My husband is a builder though and though he is useless with this side of tech, he is a whizz with wiring. I dread to think how many folks have asked for connection, got the same techie and had the call they are in a bad reception spot.

I was actually left feeling violated actually because I had asked for a clean install with cable coming through my loft, and thought I had hit on a narcissist with an attitude who decided to put a kink in the wire just to brass Ume off for asking for a sensible install.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 17 (1,039 Views)
At this point, the smaller SIM piece in the centre has split away from the larger and it is difficult to take out and put back in without a fiddle. It’s still touching contacts and detected in router settings but I’d appreciate that we don’t take that out again on any instructions given or a technician is sent to deal.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 17 (1,039 Views)
Its not the cable as we have managed 2-3 times to place the old router back and it has worked fine. It’s nit the SIM as that is detected as shown in settings. From your description this is clearly meant to be plug and play and I am not meant to input any settings in the router which I have not on this round of setup per your instructions. I have a feeling it is related to SIM not being set up on the network.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 17 (1,040 Views)
Re did the exact procedure you suggest. Hasn’t worked. All lights lit up but red light is still red.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 17 (1,043 Views)
Actually that is the procedure we used initially before I even touched router settings. The light was red and never changed to blue st any point hence the fiddling with the settings in the vague hope I had something I needed to complete in there to obtain connection to the network.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 17 (1,047 Views)
Can I use the old SIM card. When that was placed in it worked. All old messages showed up in router top right.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 17 (1,050 Views)
Do I literally need to remove the SIM card to factory reset it all? The SIM has been removed and replaced several times and as split a little so is difficult to put in and out ATM. It’s still detected though and isn’t faulty a shown in router settings (top right). We even tried our old SIM from other router at one point.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 10 of 17 (1,055 Views)
Factory reset the B315 to clear any settings you have altered.
Make sure it is powered off and put new SIM card in.
When looking at the back, carefully screw the antenna cable into the left port
Power on and wait a min for it to start up. You should have a blue light if successful.
Plug into computer and check internet works.
Feel free to change settings after its confirmed working.
Posted from Samsung SM-G950F
Stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 35w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors