RBI Are we there yet?

Starter Poster

RBI Are we there yet?

by MarkH Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (1,261 Views)

I’m back again to ask about the Huntly East Cell Tower RBI 4G status.
I’m just asking on behalf of my smart TV, Imac, Apple Tv, Samsung tablets and our smart phones. They have all been quite disappointed with my 3g dongle internet connection and its expensive data.  I have tried to appease them without success over the last couple of years only to find we had no access to wireless RBI or fixed line connections despite the line of site to towers, and watching our roadside dug up and fibre optic UFB go whooshing past our gate and around the roadside cabinet 60m away.

Anyway is it time to ring Vodafone for a RBI installation?

On a more serious note I do have some questions re Vodafone’s RBI plans.
1. Can someone tell me with the $ 105.99 RBI + phone deal what kind of phone connection is it?
2. And is Ultimate Broadband’s  $ 105.00 For 80Gb/50Gb off peak + Phone the same Phone connection? I Believe Wireless Nation use VoIP which I’m not sure about is it any good. Its just that for some years now we have had a Vodafone “Home Phone Wireless” on account, great product, since the copper around here is so woeful the land line used to fault every couple of months and Chorus has an umbrella permanently setup at our road side cabinet so I’d hate to go back to copper. In fact I won’t go back to copper.
3. I see our city cousins have some great deals with BB, Phone + upgrade to MySky  but us country folk need to pay $ 106 to get the 80Gb + Phone with no mention of Sky. Not that I’ll be complaining after $30 for 1Gb on the dongle.  I was just wonder how far up the food chain one would have to go, on behalf of all Vodafone’s RBI customers of course, to negotiate something like.

80gb Rural broadband
Home Phone wireless (Great Product- flattery never hurts)
MySky Upgrade   All rolled into a Cost effective package?

Or is there something in the pipeline I should be wainting for with Vodafone/Sky joining forces?

Retired Staff

Re: RBI Are we there yet?

by Retired Staff Lucas Retired Staff
Message 2 of 9 (1,249 Views)

Hi @MarkH

The phone connection is run via our mobile network. The phone will plug into the RBI modem. You wont be able to use your Home Phone Wireless with RBI, it will be redundant.

I'm not aware of the ins and outs of how other providers may operate their connections.

At this point we are not able to combine RBI plus sky services onto one account as these are managed on separate systems. Fixed Line services can only be bundled with Sky at the moment.

I work in the Mobile On Account and Mobile Technical Support team. I volunteer my time on the Community.
Starter Poster

by MarkH Starter Poster
Message 3 of 9 (1,238 Views)

Thanks Lucas thats what I needed to know re the phone as I didn't want to go back to copper. Does anyone else know if the Huntly East Cell Tower RBI ready?

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 9 (1,211 Views)

Hi @MarkH 

I do the installs for Ultimate Broadband in your area, so feel free to get in touch with me if you have further questions.

The RBI voice option as per above works over the mobile network. There is a port on the back of the RBI router that you plug a regular phone into to use this phone service.

It is possible that we may be able to connect you up now, so do get in touch if interested.

Thanks

Fraser

coffeebaron at geekzonemail dot com

Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 5 of 9 (1,199 Views)

Note that Huntly East technically is an RBI site already RBI capable with x2 carriers of 3G. it's older hardware though and takes a lot of traffic so I would recommend holding off 1 month.

End of next month the site is scheduled to be upgraded to 4G - would have been done earlier but delayed due to another party having their own equipment on the tower so we needed to gain permission.

Starter Poster

by MarkH Starter Poster
Message 6 of 9 (1,187 Views)

Thanks Ninja Nigel I'll check back in in a month 

Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 7 of 9 (1,185 Views)

Keep an eye on this link - http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Vodafone-network-status/Planned-Maintenance-Mobile/m-p/172190

You'll probably know the upgrade will be happening when it does as well as there will be some no service periods while technicians are working up on the tower.

4G should go live around a week after the work finishes (give or take)

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Message 8 of 9 (708 Views)
Senior Contributor

Message 9 of 9 (464 Views)

Upgrade done.

Screenshot_20170405-084506.png

Stats