Power point network extenders

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Power point network extenders

by barracuda Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (338 Views)

I use network adapters that plug in to a power point and use the house wiring. Will these still work once I have fibre installed?

Posted from Apple iPad

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Power point network extenders

Message 3 of 3 (334 Views)

Hey - thanks for that - I really appreciate the reply. That's good news, and I understand what you're saying about the potential for a bottleneck. Please let me know how you get on! 

View solution in original post

Posted from Apple iPad
Solution
Accepted by topic author barracuda
‎31-08-2017 12:34 AM

All Replies
Highlighted
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster 021408309 Regular Poster
Message 2 of 3 (322 Views)

They should fine yes. You will connect a router to your fibre termination point and you would connect one ethernet output from the router to your powerline adapter. 

Note however that your overall throughput will be throttled by your weakest link. Whatever is the slower (your powerlink or your router ports, or connected device ports) will dictate your max speed. Also unless you have new AV2 spec powerlines with Gbit ports and a router with Gbit ports, they will trottle your output. Probably still faster than wireless. though.

Best speed would be direct ethernet connection from a machine with Gbit ethernet to a router with Gbit ports. 

Just FYI, I am in the same boat and when fibre is installed in a few days, I am upgrading my powerlines to these: 

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NETTPL0800&name=TP-Link-TL-PA8010PKITAV1200-Gigabit-Passthro...

Or better if something else comes along in the interim.

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 3 (335 Views)

Hey - thanks for that - I really appreciate the reply. That's good news, and I understand what you're saying about the potential for a bottleneck. Please let me know how you get on! 

Posted from Apple iPad
Solution
Accepted by topic author barracuda
‎31-08-2017 12:34 AM
Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today