New fibre connection running half expected speed

Highlighted
Frequent Poster
Accepted Solution

New fibre connection running half expected speed

by Frequent Poster Paul Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 14 (560 Views)

We've just switched over to Vodafone from My Republic were we have had consistent speeds around 98 down 20 up for the past two years. 

We are only getting 50 down 10 up with Vodafone.  Were using an HG659.

I have unplugged everything from the lan side of the router, except one laptop with which I ran a speed test. 

I was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar? 

Posted from Android 2.0 Tablet

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Poster

Re: New fibre connection running half expected speed

Message 14 of 14 (255 Views)

After 10 days of slow and no service, we eventually had a result.

A guy called Tim from vodafone tech support took complete ownership of the issue and stayed with it until the issue was resolved.

Apparently someone at Vodafone had provisioned their end incorrectly. Why this wasn't picked up by any of the other customer care agents I spoke to at Vodafone, I'll probably never know.

We're now up and running at full speed. although our new Ultra Hub is staying in its box due to lack of LAN ports compared to to our existing HG659

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul
‎16-10-2017 02:49 PM

All Replies
Frequent Poster

[ Edited ]
by Frequent Poster yitz Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 14 (548 Views)

Did you purchase the 30/10 or 100/20 speed tier? Check your billing details.

Note the 30/10 tier is actually 50/10 in areas served by Chorus, which corresponds to the performance you are receiving.

100/20 is usually a $10/month upgrade on top of 30/10 however there is a promotion currently running that waives this for the first year when signing up on an unlimited plan with 12 month contract. You may or may not have taken up this offer.

Frequent Poster

Message 3 of 14 (540 Views)
Thanks Yitz

That's very interesting. We signed up for Unlimited Ultra Fast 100, which was on the email we received today.

The service switch over has been a fiasco from the start, so I wouldn't be surprised if Vodafone and Chorus between them have provisioned it incorrectly.
Posted from Motorola XT1092
Frequent Poster

Message 4 of 14 (505 Views)

Well, I called Vodafone support, and they were as useless as one could expect. They told me that the connection is provisioned 100/20.

I'm hopefully receiving a new modem from them during the week. If it's still 50/10, then I'll be switching back to My Republic.

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 5 of 14 (479 Views)

Frequent Poster

Message 6 of 14 (429 Views)

It doesn't appear that it is possible to get any sense out of Vodafone technical support. I imagine they are just using cue cards, and if a question deviates from those cards, they just come back with "Computer says no"

50/10 appears to be such a specific speed, that it must be a configuration issue with the ONT.

Contributor

by Contributor MrMorm Contributor
Message 7 of 14 (423 Views)

your plan may say 100/20 but it looks like your physical service is 50 - you need a fault raised to check as the system seems out of sync. A new modem will not fix it.

Frequent Poster

Message 8 of 14 (417 Views)

That's all well and good, but trying to convince Vodafone is nigh on impossible. Trying to get through to the right person in the first instance, is a lottery

Frequent Poster

Message 9 of 14 (406 Views)

I have managed to speak to someone in the NZ call centre for sales upgrades and downgrades, and they are going to temperarily provision the connection to 200Mbps. So, what I'm hoping is that the speed will increase to 200, and then she can reprovision back to 100. I'll know by tomorrow.

I do wonder why it is necessary to speak to someone in the NZ call centre to get anything done.

Frequent Poster

Message 10 of 14 (371 Views)

Apparently we should have been provisioned to 200Mbps overnight, but still no joy. Still running at 50/10, and still waiting for a new router, which will probably make no difference.

It's interesting to read on the Consumer website "In addition, Vodafone’s customers were less likely to be very satisfied (and more likely to be very dissatisfied) with the customer support they received and the accuracy of their bills." I can vouch for that. It's very difficult to get to talk to someone that can help, and then reconnect with that person if the problem still exists.

Stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 9w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today