New Build

Starter Poster

New Build

by GazB Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (366 Views)

Im building a new home and wanting to get VSDL installed. I cant seem to get a straight answer out of anyone at vodafone about the process.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Staff

Re: New Build

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 2 of 6 (361 Views)

1) Check if VDSL is available at your address : https://www.chorus.co.nz/broadband-checker

2) Dig a trench so that Chorus tech can put the copper lead from the street to the premise, into the trench

3) Once trench is ready, call and order VDSL.

From memory it costs $250 for a "connection & wiring" service order. If you go on a contract, you would be able to get Voda to bear 100-150 bucks of it and pay only half the cost. The cost is charged by Chorus so there's no way to completely avoid it. Mind you, you will also be issued a free modem on contract anyway which is worth $150. That's it.

Keep in mind, since you say it's a new property, the standard connection timeframe of 5-9 working days could stretch if additional work is required to get your connection working. The $250 is only for service lead install and activation. If you need extra wiring done, that will be charged separately and that won't be waived. 

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
Highlighted
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 3 of 6 (358 Views)

Manoj wrote:

1) Check if VDSL is available at your address : https://www.chorus.co.nz/broadband-checker

2) Dig a trench so that Chorus tech can put the copper lead from the street to the premise, into the trench

3) Once trench is ready, call and order VDSL.

From memory it costs $250 for a "connection & wiring" service order. If you go on a contract, you would be able to get Voda to bear 100-150 bucks of it and pay only half the cost. The cost is charged by Chorus so there's no way to completely avoid it. Mind you, you will also be issued a free modem on contract anyway which is worth $150. That's it.

Keep in mind, since you say it's a new property, the standard connection timeframe of 5-9 working days could stretch if additional work is required to get your connection working. The $250 is only for service lead install and activation. If you need extra wiring done, that will be charged separately and that won't be waived. 

Don't chorus just thrust a pipe from the street to the house and then run the fiber though it?

Posted from Apple iPad
Staff

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 4 of 6 (354 Views)

OP's query is about VDSL and not Fibre. 

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
Starter Poster

by GazB Starter Poster
Message 5 of 6 (347 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

Can definitely get VDSL and can dig the trench.

Chorus say i need an order submitted from vodafone to put the duct or copper lead in. But the last person i talked to from vodafone says I need to put the duct in. I need to be able to have the copper or duct put in the trench when i lay the other services i.e. water, power and this will be one of the first things completed when the house is started.

Staff

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 6 of 6 (338 Views)

Ok. I just walked up to the provisioning team and had a chat. If you have the trench dug with a duct ready, sign up for a "connection & wiring" install for VDSL. Chorus will schedule a tech. It's a half day job so tech will usually call in advance before turning up and then put the copper line in.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 24w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today