Lowering ping

New Poster
Accepted Solution

Lowering ping

by TristanShepherd46 New Poster
Message 1 of 5 (979 Views)

Hi, I was just wondering if there was any way to lower my ping because I currently get 21 ping on Speedtest.net with about 40mbps download and 5mbps upload where as a few of my mates have similar download and upload, however are getting 1-5 ping. Just wondering if there is a way to solve this and lower my ping.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Staff

Re: Lowering ping

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 3 of 5 (1,805 Views)

Anything upto 200 - 300ms is not considered a fault. Ping times always vary as packet routing over internet is dynamic and optimised for traffic management by all ISPs. So if you get 21ms today, you could get 50ms next week and 5ms the week after. Your friends could be testing off a different speedtest server and their traffic could be taking a different route depending on their connection type and location compared to yours.

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author TristanShepherd46
‎21-11-2016 04:23 PM

All Replies
Contributor

by Contributor Bobthekiwi Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (962 Views)

sorry in short no, unless you purchase a better router, also depends on what service you have ( picking on VDSL ). also depends on distance from the cabinet/exchange.

Highlighted
Staff

by Staff Manoj Staff
Message 3 of 5 (1,806 Views)

Anything upto 200 - 300ms is not considered a fault. Ping times always vary as packet routing over internet is dynamic and optimised for traffic management by all ISPs. So if you get 21ms today, you could get 50ms next week and 5ms the week after. Your friends could be testing off a different speedtest server and their traffic could be taking a different route depending on their connection type and location compared to yours.

I am from the fixed line faults team and I volunteer my time here. Not an official member of the Social Media Team.
Solution
Accepted by topic author TristanShepherd46
‎21-11-2016 04:23 PM
New Poster

by Ramon New Poster
Message 4 of 5 (934 Views)

This explained it. Kudos Manoj for the usual help!

Contributor

by Contributor Bobthekiwi Contributor
Message 5 of 5 (919 Views)

Grabbed from a site that is contracted to moniter all isp's in NZ. www.truenet.co.nz 

Do all ISPs link to Australian cities directly?

Domain Name Server (DNS), and Latency Performance are important measures of internet performance.  Our quarterly results show little change from last quarter, where Vodafone latency to Sydney, and 2Degrees latency to Melbourne are so large they may go via the USA to get to the peering exchanges we link to.  These are important metrics, as a very large proportion of NZ traffic goes to and from Sydney, and Melbourne is a major centre in the region. Latency can and will impact small file downloads (eg websites), gaming, and potentially video or voice.

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 45w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today