Is there an known issue with cable modem (TC4400VDF)? Overheat maybe?

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Is there an known issue with cable modem (TC4400VDF)? Overheat maybe?

by harrychch Starter Poster
Message 1 of 11 (1,003 Views)

I got FibreX Max, since last year I got this service, everything was running smoothly. But in the recent few months, I've got strange disconnections from Internet, sometimes twice or 3 times a day. Everything appears to be normal in my router page, When checking my router status page, it appears I have an IP and everything says connected and LAN functions works just fine, just that the internet is lost. Simply retarts the cable modem fixed it. However, getting random disconnects every so often is not right. 

I have to admit that I am not using the standard setup, I use an netgear R7000 set up for FibreX with the settings I found on your website, it works just fine until I get these disconnects in the recent months. 

Since the cable modem does not have an UI page, I can't know for sure, but on the router side, there are no fault found on its logs. The cable modem (TC4400VDF) however, when touched, it is extremely hot. If I let it sit for 5 min and replug it in, this appears to prolong its working time, therefore, I suspect it has a heat issue.

Anyways, I am bringing this to your attention. And hopefully we can find a solution.

Thanks you and regards.

Frequent Poster

Re: Is there an known issue with cable modem (TC4400VDF)? Overheat maybe?

by Frequent Poster Axle_Grease Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 11 (987 Views)

One night I left a glove on mine and the next moprning I had no internet.  My cable modem is warm to the touch, definately not extremely hot.   I think your unit is faulty.

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 11 (982 Views)
Today I put a layer of hard paper underneath the cable modem And below the paper I put two plastic ice blocks. It has been running well for almost 24 hours except I have to change the ice every few hours.
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 11 (975 Views)

@harrychchwrote:
Today I put a layer of hard paper underneath the cable modem And below the paper I put two plastic ice blocks. It has been running well for almost 24 hours except I have to change the ice every few hours.

That sounds like quite an extreme workaround and you shouldn't have to be resorting to that.. If you have to be sticking ice blocks under the gear to keep it cool enough and running, something is wrong.

Certainly your unit could be overheating causing mentioned issues. I suggest you call and get a fault logged to have the unit replaced.

Cheers,

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 11 (970 Views)

Thank you for you reply. I shall do that. In the meantime, I will keep this modem cooled with ice to be sure it is in fact the heat issue.

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 6 of 11 (965 Views)

@harrychchwrote:

Thank you for you reply. I shall do that. In the meantime, I will keep this modem cooled with ice to be sure it is in fact the heat issue.

Sounds good. Hope it doesn't fall in the melted ice water Smiley Tongue !

Cheers

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 11 (959 Views)

No, it won't even get wet. I use those $5 reuseable ice cubes from the warehouse. And it works just fine. But now I think about it, why it overheats? Apart from faultty unit? could it be just the workload is too much for the device to handle? The standard setup with vodafone hub will never get consistant 900M+/s speed (at least I can't get that speed with it), so I use R7000 flashed with advanced tomato and with CTF(cut through forwarding) on. I get consistant close to 1g connection. This is probably too much stress for the modem to handle?
IMG_20180312_210631.jpg

Staff

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 8 of 11 (887 Views)

thats really concerning. I will let the HFC team know about this. you should do that. Get a big PC coolant fan and put it on top. dont use that Ice contraption as thats a health and safety concern.

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 11 (882 Views)

Thank you for the reply! I had the exact same thing in mind. But I am running out of Case fans, I used all of my savaged ones for building my kids a PC recently. But I am getting one tomorrow, although powering the fan could be a problem, but I'll figure something out. 

For my temporary ice solution, as far as safty is concered, the hard paper I place between the device and ice is waxed, so condensation is minimal on the device side. The contraption is only a problem at start(First time when I put it there when the device is hot), once it settles, the heat transfer should be smooth for now according to law of thermodynamics. After all the the device outershell is plastic.  

I am going to do a DIY air cooling solution, once I get all the parts I need to build it. And I shall post a picture once I am done. If it works then there is no need to bother your service team. Another thought behind this is, I fear that even with a replacement device, I would still get the overheat issue. What if it is not a individual problem? As someone has mentioned above, he throw an glove on it and it stops working overnight.

By the way, my device is working great since I put it on ice. It has been 48 hours without a problem. And I seem to get less packets loss during gaming as well.

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 11 (852 Views)

Update, I have phoned up to request a replacement unit, I am found these,

For $36 freeshiping, I think this will be a permanent solution. This will make sure everything is nice and cool Smiley Happy

c1.PNGc2.PNG

Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 39w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 4 Contributors