Internet speed!

New Poster

Internet speed!

by griffonow New Poster
Message 1 of 8 (1,192 Views)

How  do I get faster internet? After updating my plan to unlimited GB per month, the speed hasn't increased and after doing a speed test it showed download speed at 0.66MBps and an upload speed of 0.76MBps. Help! Ps. I have a recent laptop model and modem, technicians have come out and say it's working fine on the technical side of things.

Starter Poster

Re: Internet speed!

by TheEnemy Starter Poster
Message 2 of 8 (1,166 Views)

Hi there, upgrading your plan to unlimited GB wont increase your internet connection speed because it is just a plan change. If you want faster internet then I would suggest upgrading to VDSL or Fibre connection. Also, your download speed is not normal. It should always be higher than your upload speed. This might have something to do with a fault on your Broadband line. You can try to powercycle your modem by unplugging the power cable at the back of it and wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in. Try unplugging and re-plugging your DSL cable as well. If you're still experiencing slow speed connection after these troubleshooting steps, you can always ask for assistance by calling Vodafone's Technical Support at 0800 438 448.

Ninja Master

[ Edited ]
by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 3 of 8 (1,164 Views)

@griffonow Approx where are you located? Sounds like you could be connected to a rural cabinet called a Conkin and if this is the case everyone connected to that hardware no matter what retail ISP will be getting the same speed

This blog by a friend of mine explains what a Conkin is

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8780

Internet speed can also be impacted by poor house wiring and this blog covers what to check

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8780

As advised by @TheEnemy changing plan does not change speed

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team

John Reader | Systems Engineer | Vodafone NZ | +6421323505

To ask me a question directly here on the community post @johnr so I get an email advising me
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 4 of 8 (1,126 Views)

Hi griffonow

Please try plugging your computer into the modem and see if that helps your speed (instead of using wifi).

If that doesn't improve it, you may want to potentially move to our Rural Broadband product instead. It isn't unlimited, but is still good value, and if available to you would be faster than your current connection.

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/rural/

Cheers

Dylan

New Poster

by Mayur New Poster
Message 5 of 8 (1,051 Views)

Hi all, 

I upgraded to VDSL in the beginning of November 2015, and now it seems my wifi speed on my desktop has dropped dramatically (from 25 mb/s to 0-1 mb/s). Been playing around with the setting and have managed to get it up a bit (12 mb/s) but i want to know how I can get it back up to 25 mb/s. 

When I use my other computers and phones it reads as 25 mb/s, just the one desktop which runs off wifi.

Any help?

Cheers

Highlighted
Business Ninja Initiate

by Business Ninja Initiate Business Ninja Initiate Business Ninja Initiate
Message 6 of 8 (1,027 Views)

HI Mayur,

can you please PM me your details (please do not post it here).

i will be here till 3:30pm today and tomorrow (at work). 

thank you 

Please call the contact centre if urgent as will come off and on during my breaks, lunch, or idle time or my roster day off to help out on the forums

Somethings that i mention on the forum is purely my personal findings through troubleshooting with customers that rang in and doesnt mean it works for them it works for you.

Josh

Fixed Line and Fixed Broadband Agent, Vodafone NZ Ltd

0800 438 448
Business Ninja Initiate

by Business Ninja Initiate Business Ninja Initiate Business Ninja Initiate
Message 7 of 8 (1,001 Views)

HI Mayur,

upon checking your speed your modem is connected to the exchange and our network cant find any fault with the network and seeing your post it is probably a wifi issue. I would recommend that if you can try connecting most of your devices to the 5Ghz range (if your device supports it). by doing so and how to identify it is probably need to login to the modem:

1/ go to 192.168.1.1

2/ Username: Admin

Password: @(follow by last 8 digits of your serial number) 

or

Username: vodafone

Password: vodafone

3/ on home there is wifi option and click on it

4/ there should be an option where you can change the name for 5Ghz and make sure you change it to something you can identify with and save it. 

by doing this that hopefully will improve your speed on your wifi devices. 

but again there are a lot of factor that may interfere with your wifi devices and signal. 

if you can please test the speed by connecting a device using ethernet will be much appreciated.

thank you for your patience. 

Please call the contact centre if urgent as will come off and on during my breaks, lunch, or idle time or my roster day off to help out on the forums

Somethings that i mention on the forum is purely my personal findings through troubleshooting with customers that rang in and doesnt mean it works for them it works for you.

Josh

Fixed Line and Fixed Broadband Agent, Vodafone NZ Ltd

0800 438 448
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 8 of 8 (880 Views)

Hi Mayur

Just checking how that's going? Were  you able to reconfigure your wireless settings?

Cheers

Dylan

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today