Internet outage

Starter Poster

Internet outage

by Cureyy Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (248 Views)
My internets been dropping in and out the last few days but just now it's dropped out and has been out for about half an hour now, anyone know what the problem is? I live in Upper Hutt so is it an area problem or is something going wrong with our internet
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

Re: Internet outage

by RossNixon41 Starter Poster
Message 2 of 7 (240 Views)

Have you confirmed that your router/modem has lost internet? The reason I ask is that many people report outages when it is just the WiFi inside their house playing up.

Starter Poster

by Cureyy Starter Poster
Message 3 of 7 (234 Views)
The modem is connected and all our devices can still connect to the internet but they say no internet access and there is a yellow exclamation Mark on the wifi bars
Posted from Apple iPhone
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by RossNixon41 Starter Poster
Message 4 of 7 (232 Views)

Well, we had our internet go out this morning. After 5-10 mins, we powered our modem/router off for 20 seconds, then on again. That fixed it. Mind you, that has only happened to us a couple of times per year.

Another thing to consider, modem/routers for consumers are made to a price, with a higher failure rate than you would expect. They tend to run hot, which degrades them over just a few years. If this has happened, bend your ISP's arm for a *free* replacement.

Starter Poster

by Cureyy Starter Poster
Message 5 of 7 (200 Views)

we only just recently joined with Vodafone so our modem is still only a few months old 

Contributor

by Contributor capcomnz Contributor
Message 6 of 7 (178 Views)

@Cureyy

Sounds like a connection problem to the Vodafone network BUT can be remedied by checking a few things.

If your using Windows, there is a Troubleshooter in the Network and Sharing Center.

I use Windows 7, so if your using Windows 10 or something else it should be similar.

If your using Apple, then sorry….disregard the following bit and move on to the bit about the router BUT there could be something similar that they have.

On the Wi-Fi bars (on the toolbar) right click and “Open Network and Sharing Center”.

A new window will open that shows your connection.

Top will show icons of your Computer --- Name of Wi-Fi ---  Internet.

Between name of Wi-Fi and Internet, I’m guessing there is a yellow triangle with exclamation mark

You can click on that to run a trouble-shooter – Sometimes its works….most often not !!!

Also under where it says “View your active connections” it lists Access type, Homegroup and Connections. Connections should show your connection type and be in blue type. Click on this opens a new window and bottom left there should be a “Diagnose” button.

Sometimes running these Troubleshooters is enough for me but most often, it does nothing.

However, worth a shot first, and does no harm.

Router

So this is probably the better way to go if the troubleshooter didn’t work

Power off your router and disconnect the power. Do this for at least 30 seconds so any excess power is removed from the router.

While this is being done also check your line filters (assuming your using ADSL – I’m not sure about VDSL or Cable etc)

Line filters are those that connect to your phone line connector on the wall.

I sometimes have a problem like yours so I unplug these filters and give them a quick clean and plug them back in.

Try plugging in and turning on the router again and wait to see if it makes connection.

I do know that alarm systems that are monitored can cause connection issues as well.

Normally (for me) by unplugging the router and checking the line filters it comes right BUT I have in the past had to connect a LAN cable to the router (so I can talk to the router directly) and go into the router set-up page.

It’s here where I have had to do a factory set-up so the modem is wiped clean and I start again.

This is a bit more complicated !!

This means that you will need to know your log-in details like username and password etc.

You connect a LAN cable from your computer to the back of the modem/router. Open your browser and type in your routers address (something like 192.168.1.1) in the address bar.

Should connect to the routers homepage, might have to enter password etc.

There will be an option in the settings somewhere to do a factory reset. You can then set it up again as new.

Theres also a button on the back of the router to factory reset a modem/router. Small hole that you press in for a period of time (refer to the manual) then connect with cable and setup as new.

I have had to do this a few times when everything else has failed.

Also in the past I have contacted Vodafone and spoken to the Technicians directly (there is an option for this in the prompts when you dial in to go through to them)

They have been very helpful in the past and stepped me through doing the factory reset and checking to see if a connection is being made at their end.

Starter Poster

by Cureyy Starter Poster
Message 7 of 7 (155 Views)

thank you this was very helpful, we're running cabel but im sure with the information you've given i'll be able to find a solution.  Thank you very much

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today