IPv6 and Vodafone broadband

Staff

Re: IPv6 and Vodafone broadband

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 11 of 46 (2,748 Views)

I've edited my original message, but to clarify here the rollout is not completed yet. I'll post updates when I have them. Sorry for any false hope, some of you will have to wait a little longer!

Contributor

by Contributor halo779 Contributor
Message 12 of 46 (1,390 Views)

Appreciate the update there. Has been very mixed messages from IPv6 is complete to IPv6 was done months ago so its good to have that cleared up!

look forward to hearing how more updates when they are out.

Highlighted
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 13 of 46 (524 Views)

So I just noticed I only had IPV4 so I reset my router now I have IPV6 back again.. Any reason why that happend?

Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 14 of 46 (510 Views)

Bump 

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 15 of 46 (508 Views)

Shouldn't happen, don't know why it did. Seen something similar a handful of other times, but never been able to reproduce it and figure out why.

New Poster

by dodger New Poster
Message 16 of 46 (1,315 Views)

I have a client that has VDSL and the Huawei HG659 supplied by Vodafone. They have been complaining for a couple of weeks about not being able to connect or slow connections to Xero and Office 365. Rebooting solves it for a short time - sometimes.

Finally today I switched off IPv6 and the problem seems to be solved - my search of the internet from their location did not find this or I might have tried a firmware update. Do you have diagnostics available so problems can be identified? I am a bit loathe to waste more time until I know the external network is fixed.

I did not even bother calling the help desk as I suspect they have no idea about what IPv6 is.

Contributor

by Contributor halo779 Contributor
Message 17 of 46 (1,314 Views)

Likely will be a MTU discovery issue, Although i would expect the stock configuation on the HG659 is already configured for it.

I would recommend a call, simply to get it filed as a fault.

Starter Poster

by sam_otago Starter Poster
Message 18 of 46 (1,223 Views)

So far, we have three of our customers who are having connection issues with Office 365 and Vodafone's IPv6. The only fix we have found is to turn it off, like dodger.

We also have little confidence in calling the help desk.

Staff

[ Edited ]
by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 19 of 46 (1,198 Views)

sam_otago wrote:

So far, we have three of our customers who are having connection issues with Office 365 and Vodafone's IPv6.

There was a problem connecting with IPv6 to some Microsoft services (Office 365, Outlook.com) which was sorted yesterday afternoon (began Friday AFAICT). Let me know if you're still seeing issues and I can investigate further.

Starter Poster

by JoBooth Starter Poster
Message 20 of 46 (1,145 Views)

Thanks for the updates - after seeing weird issues over the last few weeks - slow DNS etc - I had a look and see my HG659 on VDSL is dishing out IPv6 addresses. Seems that it's giving the modem on fe80::1 as gateway but not routing any further.  I have for many years (since 2007) run a IPv6 tunnel and ran IPv6 locally and to the internet - so good to see Vodafone finally coming to the party a decade or so late.

Unfortunately the modem dishing out v6 DNS (e.g rdns1.ihug.net 2407:7000:2100:5300::1) and failing to have a route to them meant my connection was boomeranging via australia to resolve stuff - some 223ms and 13 hops via APE / NZIX and vocus, rather than my usual 7ms

I call helpdesk and after a few attempts with people asking me to try 192.168.1.1 I got a tech who advised some experiments in IPv6 had been done and weren't working. 

If you're 'experimenting' with my upstream connectivity - is there a definitive blog or status page wih a supported config we can use?  It'd be good to have a workable IPv6 solution for our Vodafone CPE that is native to the Vodafone network and works.

Thanks in advance.

Stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 13 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors