IPv6 and Vodafone broadband

Highlighted
Staff

IPv6 and Vodafone broadband

[ Edited ]
by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 1 of 44 (2,277 Views)

Since a few people on Geekzone have noticed, it's probably worth a mention here that some residential customers are now receiving an IPv6 address. If you don't know what that means, then relax as you don't need to do anything. If you're especially interested in technical details, read on. Any questions, post away.

What you need to get IPv6:

• [edit: Rollout of IPv6 is still underway, updates will be posted here]
  • It's available now to some customers on Fibre (UFB), FibreX (cable), VDSL, and ADSL*.
  • You'll need a router capable of IPv6 dual stack. Our Huawei HG659 supports this, which has been provided to anyone on UFB or VDSL, and more recently ADSL. While you're checking that, make sure you're on the latest firmware.

For best performance on IPv6:

• If you've never changed any settings you're most likely fine. If you have changed something then check the following.
  • Ensure IPv6 is enabled in your operating system and network interface.
  • Make sure you're using the default (DHCP provided) DNS, as these are located across the country for best performance. Google's DNS (both IPv4 and IPv6) is currently resolving in Australia, so you'll find general browsing may be a little slower than it could be.

Our IPv6 network:

• The most popular sites, such as Google, Facebook, and Netflix are IPv6 capable, and we connect directly with them using IPv6.
  • Our backbone network is IPv6 capable, as are the links to our international peers, and some of our business customers have had IPv6 connections for several years.
  • Our DNS servers can be reached via IPv4 or IPv6.

Your IPv6 address:

• You'll receive a /56 prefix. We don't currently offer static IPv6 addresses, although the prefix you receive should persist across router reboots.
  • To check you're connected, try browsing to ipboomhauer.com and he'll tell you your IP address.

* for ADSL you need to be connected to the old Vodafone network (rather than the old TelstraClear network) and on a Chorus EUBA connection (mainly excludes the more rural areas).

New Poster

Re: IPv6 and Vodafone broadband

by richd New Poster
Message 2 of 44 (2,223 Views)

I noticed a slowdown when browsing the web sometime in the last week. I think it was caused by this IPv6 change.

I saw the problem on macOS and Android. I tracked the problem down to slow DNS resolution. In Chrome Dev Tools I could see DNS taking 5–10s. The /etc/resolv.conf entries on my Mac looked like this:

domain home
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver fe80::1
nameserver 2407:7000:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

I could ping the 2407:7000:… server (with ping6), but not actually perform any DNS queries (with dig). I guess this is what was slowing down my devices—trying the 2407:7000: server first, then timing out. I checked on my Android device and it was also using this DNS server as its primary DNS server.

I tried disabling the IPv6 DNS server on my HG659 but that didn't fix the problem reliably. Then I called the Vodafone helpdesk and they disabled IPv6 for my VDSL connection.

I now realise I could have disabled IPv6 myself by logging in with the Admin account, as described here: https://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/24402, but I didn't realise I was permitted admin access at the time.

So disabling IPv6 fixed the problem for me, although I guess that it's not the ideal solution. If you'd like to work with me more to diagnose the root problem then send me a private message. I'm happy to help.

PS: I guess this is the Geekzone thread you mention: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40&topicid=204988. Someone else seems to have had the same problem as me: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40&topicid=204988&page_no=2#1658981.

Contributor

by Contributor halo779 Contributor
Message 3 of 44 (2,210 Views)

Would appreciate configuration side details for those NOT running the HG659 but another dualstack capable device (i personally do not have a HG569 supplied by vodafone, we have not had a ISP supplied device since Ihug were doing the G604T)

Based off details i can pick out of your post, it sounds like the setup is EUBA vlan 10 DHCP4/DHCP6.

This would make sense given the recent changes to DHCP as a service (i used to use DHCP however it now says my connection is unconfigured, Falling back to PPPoE resolves conectivity atleast)

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 4 of 44 (2,136 Views)

Thanks for the feedback @richd, and yeah that was the thread I'd seen. Thanks a lot for the offer to troubleshoot - I'll PM you. With all the different OS, browser and router setups I'd expect some issues, but surprised you could ping but not resolve.

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 5 of 44 (2,128 Views)

@halo779, I don't have one a configured modem in front of me, but from memory we're not using VLAN 10 for EUBA, so just straight DHCP. If you connect using PPP you won't get a v6 address.

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 6 of 44 (2,119 Views)

I have the HG659 And I rebooted my modem and I still have a V4 address

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 7 of 44 (2,110 Views)

@Christopher if you PM me your account details I can check that the equipment you're on is IPv6 capable.

Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 8 of 44 (2,106 Views)

PM Sent.

Contributor

by Contributor halo779 Contributor
Message 9 of 44 (2,088 Views)

@ChrisVF will PM you my account number so you can double check things in your side too.

Due to the way my network is setup i can test a lot of this on the fly and am currently doing so.

connection is a EUBA connection, modem is bridged (0/110 as per default with any IP session for chorus wholesale gear) to router where i terminate all connectivity. WAK/C (not sure what BRAS that ends up on off the top of my head)

no vlan, DHCP -> No ip, as expected.

vlan 10, DHCP -> 10.88.18.0/24 address, Non routable apart from to the vodafone spash screen stating the connection is not activated yet.

vlan 10, PPPoE -> This is how im currently managing connectivity since DHCP was changed (IPv4 only connectivity)

For a quick debug run, i did terminate a PPPoE session using the stock standard userbb account, This connected and netted the same your connection is not setup screen. Upon using my correct authentication a IPv4 is provided as per normal

With all this i come to the logical conclusion that likely my account is not setup properly to work over DHCP on euba currently.

May be worth noting before the changed to enable v6 were bought in, i was capable of using DHCP over vlan 10 for internet connectivity perfectly fine.

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 10 of 44 (1,962 Views)

I've edited my original message, but to clarify here the rollout is not completed yet. I'll post updates when I have them. Sorry for any false hope, some of you will have to wait a little longer!

Stats
  • 43 Replies
  • 42w ago
  • 13 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today