does an  RB connectionI have static or  dynamic IP address

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Ninja Initiate

Re: IP address

by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 2 of 7 (3,336 Views)
Hi there,

Just need to clarify if you are referring to Rural Broadband?

If that's the case, the answer is dynamic.

Regards,

Minhaj.
(please refrain from posting personal information on public forums)

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team.

I currently work with the mobile, cable tv and fibre teams

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Highlighted
Ninja Initiate

by Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate Ninja Initiate
Message 2 of 7 (3,337 Views)
Hi there,

Just need to clarify if you are referring to Rural Broadband?

If that's the case, the answer is dynamic.

Regards,

Minhaj.
(please refrain from posting personal information on public forums)

I volunteer my time here on the community helping out, Not an official member of the social media team.

I currently work with the mobile, cable tv and fibre teams
Solution
Accepted by Lon (Staff)
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Starter Poster

by nzRuralDave Starter Poster
Message 3 of 7 (2,140 Views)

I'm on RBI and asked for a static IP yesterday but got declined, apparently can't be done

Ninja Master

by Ninja Master Ninja Master Ninja Master
Message 4 of 7 (2,128 Views)

@nzRuralDaveCorrect

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster Phil_W Regular Poster
Message 5 of 7 (1,978 Views)

I read this in an effort to try to be able to access a security camera via internet (externally). I was able to do this in the past via previous wireless internet. However since being 'encouraged' to move to vodafone rural braodband (on the 3G network) this now seems very difficult. The 3G enabled modem-router B3000 has a link to DynDNS, and has portforwarding. Looks good! But despite running all the setup processes the port remains invisible. It is NOT noted in the T&A to be 'impossible/illegal'. What is the story here? I have secuiity issues 1km from the house (the camera feeds into the home network via wireless bridge). We are often out and about and can get 3G access elsewhere on the property, and of course when in town etc.

New Poster

[ Edited ]
by andrewdavid New Poster
Message 6 of 7 (1,665 Views)

Hi Phil, 

Did you manage to solve the IP address issue?

I have Huawei B3000 as well. I am having the same problem as the IP addresses provided by Vodafone can't be reached from any external network. I can see in dyndns.org that the IP address is resolved but after that you won't be able to ping it. Adding to that, it is as if a firewall is turned on or I suspect ports are blocked by Vodafone.

Regards

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster Phil_W Regular Poster
Message 7 of 7 (1,644 Views)

Short answer :-NO.

I had a similar issue ie with DynDNS (even if it is the only Dynamic option available on the router) it failed to link up.

This seems to be because Vodafone uses an archaic but popular technique of Carrier Grade DNS. It seems to be a cheap way of getting around not upgrading to IPv6. Usually 3G connects to devices which don't every really need a 'fixed IP' and so a single IP is split to a number of users to increase the number of connections. You will note the difference between the reported IP and the IP displayed by the router.

I suspect that a very cleaver Network guru could find a way though. But not me. 

Sadly Rural (3G) Broad band IS NOT the same as usual Broad Band, and I wish I had been told this before signing up and paying  for expensive equipment. I took a lot of care reading though the router characteristics and saw the DynDNS  and was fooled into thinking it actually worked. I cannot!

Where the issue really lies is that IPv6 does seem to be planned to taken up by Vodafone despite a number of positive comments over recent years. I suspect this would solve the problem.

Let me know if you find anything else out!

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today