Reply

Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎14-02-2014

Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Contributor Fade Contributor
Message 1 of 23 (4,959 Views)

Wireless connection suddenly dropped. Tried resetting the router a few times to no avail. The 5Ghz still works for our phones but 2.4 ghz is what our laptops and desktops run on. Barely had this router for a year and a half after getting Fibre installed. Tried turning 5Ghz off, 2.4 still not there, turned 2.4 off, 5Ghz still working as usual. Is our modem faulty after this short period of time? 

Had our fair share of modem/router issues in the past especially when we were on ADSL2+ didn't expect this to happen again so quickly.

Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎14-02-2014

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Contributor Fade Contributor
Message 2 of 23 (4,949 Views)

Can't seem to edit the original post. 

5 GHz detected on Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S2.
2.4 GHz undetected across 2 of the above phones, desktop wifi dongle, and 2 laptops - even right next to the router.

Router settings

Both are turned on as you can see and went through selecting them interchangably as well.

Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎14-02-2014

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Contributor Fade Contributor
Message 3 of 23 (4,932 Views)

Turns out other users are also having a similar problem. http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-home-Wi-Fi/hg659-router-no-longer-visible-to-some-devices/... No replies within 4 days - kinda worrying.  Smiley Frustrated

Frequent Poster
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎09-09-2015

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Frequent Poster David79 Frequent Poster
Message 4 of 23 (4,927 Views)

Hi Fade,

Your message popped up in my email box.

When WLAN was dropping out it was only on my iPhone 4S (2GHz radio)

It was showing full stregnth (Four Bars) but no actual internet connection.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing or maybe the actual radio is toast in yours?

It would always come back up just by cycling off/on the check box and hitting save each time.

I didn't actually have to restart the router until it completley locked up the morning before I upgraded and posted my findings.

It's been rock-solid since: no drop-outs, no lock-ups.

 

FYI the firmware the router shipped to me one month ago was "V100R001C206B013"

 

No harm in trying IMO (Just make sure to follow the steps and save/reload the config file)

 

Cheers

Frequent Poster
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎09-09-2015

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Frequent Poster David79 Frequent Poster
Message 5 of 23 (4,925 Views)

Sorry meant to add I also have other devices running on the 5GHz band which never disconnected.

Only the 2GHz was flakey.

Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎14-02-2014

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Contributor Fade Contributor
Message 6 of 23 (4,924 Views)

David79 wrote:

Hi Fade,

Your message popped up in my email box.

When WLAN was dropping out it was only on my iPhone 4S (2GHz radio)

It was showing full stregnth (Four Bars) but no actual internet connection.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing or maybe the actual radio is toast in yours?

It would always come back up just by cycling off/on the check box and hitting save each time.

I didn't actually have to restart the router until it completley locked up the morning before I upgraded and posted my findings.

It's been rock-solid since: no drop-outs, no lock-ups.

 

FYI the firmware the router shipped to me one month ago was "V100R001C206B013"

 

No harm in trying IMO (Just make sure to follow the steps and save/reload the config file)

 

Cheers



Yes my current software version is "V100R001C206B013" as well. Apparently a new update under "13V100R001C206B019" got shipped 3 weeks ago but I'm hesitant in updating to it in case it completely renders my internet useless.  And yeah that's the same procedure I did when turning on the 2.4 GHz / 5GHz bandwave, except the SSID doesn't show up at all for the 2.4 GHz one (only 5 GHz on my phone). It seems like 2.4 has just completely vanished - even though the router settings still sets it to 'on'. 

Thanks for trying to help though Smiley Happy 

Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎14-02-2014

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Contributor Fade Contributor
Message 7 of 23 (4,918 Views)

David79 wrote:

Sorry meant to add I also have other devices running on the 5GHz band which never disconnected.

Only the 2GHz was flakey.


Yeah, the 5GHz is still 100% stable for me, just the 2.4 GHz frequency band is completely dark on me. Kinda frustrating since all the computers in the house are around 2 rooms away from the router, not exactly ideal to go out and buy a couple of 10 ~ 15 metre ethernet cables. Smiley Indifferent

Frequent Poster
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎09-09-2015

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Frequent Poster David79 Frequent Poster
Message 8 of 23 (4,914 Views)

Mmmm sounds like something deeper than firmware to me if there are no bars coming up (dark as you say)

 

I/d save all your settings, factory reset, load settings again before loading a new firmware image on a potentially corrupt map.

 

Do you have an old router you can configure as an WLAN access point off a spare LAN port to get you running in the mean-time?

Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎14-02-2014

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Contributor Fade Contributor
Message 9 of 23 (4,908 Views)

David79 wrote:

Mmmm sounds like something deeper than firmware to me if there are no bars coming up (dark as you say)

 

I/d save all your settings, factory reset, load settings again before loading a new firmware image on a potentially corrupt map.

 

Do you have an old router you can configure as an WLAN access point off a spare LAN port to get you running in the mean-time?


I'm running on Fibre at the moment and the old routers in the house are configured for ADSL2+ I think so I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with this one HG659 for the time being. I'd probably have to wait till the Vodafone staff that uploaded the most recent  firmware to give some advice on the situation. But yeah I've saved a config file of my current settings in case I'll try a factory reset.

Frequent Poster
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎09-09-2015

Re: Huawei HG659 2.4 GHZ wifi doesn't work anymore

by Frequent Poster David79 Frequent Poster
Message 10 of 23 (4,906 Views)

Supposedly some modem/routers can be configured to disconnect the modem leaving the switch/LAN/WLAN but I wasted a day trying to get my TP-Link Acrcher D7 to work like this.

Possibly ASUS or D-Link can.

Depends how desperately you need those other machines in the house on whether to invest the time.

Fortunately I've hardwired a CAT6E under my basement to the other end of the house and have a TP-Link WDR4300 as a dual band access point there so I never actually lost my 2.4GHz connection completely.

I feel your pain. Sorry you are not getting the answers you're after from the moderator as quickly as needed.

They actually have some very clever people here and in the call centre unlike the muppets at * who have caused me nothing but pain in connecting to their fibre network.

Stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 4,960 Views
  • 7 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today