HUAWEI HG659 + Wireless-N

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: HUAWEI HG659 + Wireless-N

by MishMich Starter Poster
Message 21 of 27 (418 Views)

i have issues with this modem using Apple Macs. The router is set to NZ, yet my MacBook pro reports an error when I switch between 2.4 & 5 GHz. I have to do this now and then, because I lose WiFi. The last router had to be replaced, because nothing would connect via WiFi. The error is about conflicting country codes. I have checked using another Mac, via a Wireless Diagnostc Scan, and both Macs report that the 2.4GHz channel Country Code is blank, while the 5GHz Country Code is "DE". Further tests using other diagnostic tools show me that the Country Code is "00" (or "X1") - the "World" or "unset" setting. I've tried checking this on Windows and Linux, but I can find no Linux utilities (even on command line) that report the router's country code; I've tried an older version of Wireshark on XP (happens to be on a laptop with a 5GHz afapter) - works fine on my old netgear router, but when I run the scan when the HG659 is turned on, the software crashes. I have spoken with tech support, who insist this is a Mac problem, although obviously it isn't, as the Macs work fine with other routers (and the HG659 crashes Wieshark). I cannot get much further without finding a way of reading the country code on Linux (using "iw" CLI scan command). I can't get any lower level than using the Mac's "airport" CLI scan, which suggests that whatever the router is outputting, it is not the NZ country code. Even after a factory reset. Checked all the other routers in the vicinity, and they are all outputting a blank country code, apart from one, which is set to "GB" - none are set to "DE". Macs always configure the interface to the first router connection they find - and if the there is a discrepancy between the router's two frequencies, then this will be a problem for any Macs connecting to it. can't comment on iPhones or iPads, as I don't really feel like paying out for scanning apps to do Vodafone's job for them. I've already spent several hours of my own time trying to diagnose this issue. What really annoys me is that this "feature" of the router has messed up a couple of upgrades for me - because having a functioning network is pretty critical in that process these days. Technical support have offered to replace the router - again - but I said I don't have time to go through this with another one of these routers right now, and that if I upgrade to VDSL I'll take them up on this. But for now, they agreed that it would probably be best for me to continue with the Netgear router, because it works. There is a slight performance hit, as it is 802.11n, while the HG659 is 802.11a - but put that against the drop-outs, that is irrelevant really.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 22 of 27 (374 Views)

@MishMich

Thanks for your post.

Re Macs and HG659

We test extensively and have a Mac on an HG659 in the testing lab and I personally use one as well. We haven't had any issues to date with Wi-Fi or country codes.

Re the Wi-Fi Bands
The missing presentation of the country code is not unique to HG659, and other device models behave similarly. Across all the brands and models, they share from small number of Wi-Fi chipsets manufacturers so often have the same internal components as the HG659.

For both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band, the NZ country code is not a specific pre-set option on the wireless chipset so it is set to a default (2.4Ghz is blank and 5Ghz is DE - Germany).

The power output and channels have set to the NZ standard as required by law by the manufacturer in the firmware for both bands

There are many factors that influence Wi-Fi performance, and most commonly we see issues related to hardware and environment at the location. To help us understand further it would help if you could send me a list of all the device models you use and a description of the environmental topography to review (device locations etc).

Sorry, we can't solve quickly but I'll work with you to get it all working properly if you want to go back to the HG659.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 23 of 27 (368 Views)

Please delete the previous reply as soon as you have copied the details off - not keen to have all that info sitting around indefinitely accessible. Thanks

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 24 of 27 (342 Views)

@MishMich

Awesome detail thanks - post deleted as we have copied.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 25 of 27 (335 Views)

Thanks

Starter Poster

by Patrickmahanga Starter Poster
Message 26 of 27 (266 Views)
I have a hg659 modem it overheats