Frequent Broadband Disconnects

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Frequent Broadband Disconnects

by Lennie Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (2,797 Views)

I have previously been a Telstra Clear customer and have cjanged to Vodafone package in the last few days. We live in a rural environment, about 250m from roadside cabinet. Previous ADSL was provided with Conklins in the cabinet, and was updated last year as part of RBI to give us pretty good services and speeds averaging about 15mbps down. This resulted in my teenagers using gobs of data so decided to change plan. We use a Netcomm NB604N modem previously provided by Telstra which supported a desktop and 3 wireless devices fine.

Changed to Vodafone and now have regular Broadband disconnects....so have had Chorus check line, which was a bit noisey for voice and has been repaired today.....but broadband not improved!

I have tried a Netcomm NB304N modem with the same result, however an old Dynalink single port modem stands up and works great.

Is there any compatibility problems with Vodafone and these modems, or firmware upgrade needed?? Support are sending a new modem which I did nor think I required in the transition from Telstra to Vodafone but will try anything. Will be interesting to see what type of modem I get sent and if it solves the problem.

I am an ex Telecom tech and have tried to isolate the problem,  the house is wired with data cable, and have connected direct to incoming port,  bypassing  filter and all house wiring to prove fault and still no joy.

Vodafone phone support overloaded today so giving this a go

Any help appreciated

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: Frequent Broadband Disconnects

by Lennie Starter Poster
Message 8 of 10 (3,516 Views)

Vodafone Station wireless modem arrived by courier in 2 working days to RD address...great service..., easily installed by my teenage son, and has resolved the problem. Download speeds have averaged a 1.5 Mbps increase to between 16 and 17Mbps, and supports 4 wireless devices and desktop at once all ok.

Had email response from Netcomm who went into some dialogue  about ISP determining speeds, but did not provide an answer to  my original query about broadband dropping off.

Conclusion: For some reason, possibly compatibiility  or need for software update, the old modem worked fine on Telstra Clear ASDL but would not stand up with Vodafone ASDL.

New modem is a beast that fits the bill nicely...now only hope that cap of 80 gig per month is enough....

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author Lennie
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM

All Replies
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 10 (2,793 Views)

Have you checked modem Netcomm NB604N has latest software version loaded?

John

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17 years 4 days
Starter Poster

by Lennie Starter Poster
Message 3 of 10 (2,778 Views)

Hi John

Have emailed Netcomm earlier today and awaiting reply, as their website did not recommend firmware updates being done without being instructed to do so.

Seems odd that the modem functioned sweet with Telstra one day, next day no good with Vodafone. That was why I queried the possible compatibility issue between ISP's.

Retired Staff

Message 4 of 10 (2,776 Views)

I can't see it been related or it would impact all customers

Starter Poster

by Lennie Starter Poster
Message 5 of 10 (2,773 Views)

ok thanks have received advice that a Vodafone Station wireless modem has been dispatched by courier so will see how that goes

Retired Staff

Message 6 of 10 (2,730 Views)

Sounds good keep us in the loop Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

by Lennie Starter Poster
Message 7 of 10 (2,727 Views)

Just an update on the firmware in the Netcomm modem.....checked and was not the latest available, has a go but  I was unable to upgrade last night....download was a zip file which came through ok, but unable to upgrade modem

Starter Poster

by Lennie Starter Poster
Message 8 of 10 (3,517 Views)

Vodafone Station wireless modem arrived by courier in 2 working days to RD address...great service..., easily installed by my teenage son, and has resolved the problem. Download speeds have averaged a 1.5 Mbps increase to between 16 and 17Mbps, and supports 4 wireless devices and desktop at once all ok.

Had email response from Netcomm who went into some dialogue  about ISP determining speeds, but did not provide an answer to  my original query about broadband dropping off.

Conclusion: For some reason, possibly compatibiility  or need for software update, the old modem worked fine on Telstra Clear ASDL but would not stand up with Vodafone ASDL.

New modem is a beast that fits the bill nicely...now only hope that cap of 80 gig per month is enough....

Solution
Accepted by topic author Lennie
‎03-10-2015 04:33 AM
Starter Poster

by Lennie Starter Poster
Message 9 of 10 (2,681 Views)
Netcomm did comment that their NB604N modem was unlocked and should be compatible with all ISP....would have liked to prove whether a modem software upgrade would have helped...
Retired Staff

Message 10 of 10 (2,670 Views)

Great Lennie thanks for the update glad it's sorted with new modem Smiley Happy

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today