FibreX connect details for alternative wifi/router

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

FibreX connect details for alternative wifi/router

by gobey Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (169 Views)

I've recently upgraded my VF cable connection to a fibreX 200 account. A VF tech installed the new modem and a HG659. I used the HG659 for a while but was not getting the same Wifi coverage.

I tried using my own Netgear R7000 directly with the new cable modem but no go. I'd copied just the fixed IPv4 address, 2 x DNS IPv4 and GW IPv4 addresses over from the HG659 with netmask 255.255.255.0 and tried VLAN 10 w/ tagging to no avail.  I also tried using the IPv6 details to no avail.

I know people have done this. See keemeisters comment about setting up a netgear R7000, but no details.

There are some details regarding "third party" from HamishA here. These may help but I've not trioed as they seem incomplete and may or may not apply to fixed IP setup.

I'm able to re-use the R7000 as a simple AP off the HG659 but I do not want two devices plugged in 24/7 when my preferred router is more than suitable for the job.

I now wonder what am I missing? In some cases the netgear UI was asking for more info than was displayed on the HG659 admin page.... Have also trialed Advanced Tomato firmare but no luck.

Can I please get the full set of IPv4 and IPv6 connection details necessary for my account?

thanks,

g.

Accepted Solutions
Starter Poster

Re: FibreX connect details for alternative wifi/router

by gobey Starter Poster
Message 2 of 3 (293 Views)

Never mind, figured it out.

Have had a cable modem for years (since Telstra) and got so used to the fact of a static IP I'd assumed it would continue. I was not told otherwise before, during or after the connection update.

WAN IPv4 config is DHCP along with settings as per HamishA's comment

I've tried IPv6 as DHCP too but not tested yet.

Netgear R7000 all the way, the HG659 can now retire.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author gobey
‎08-08-2017 08:38 PM

All Replies
Starter Poster

by gobey Starter Poster
Message 2 of 3 (294 Views)

Never mind, figured it out.

Have had a cable modem for years (since Telstra) and got so used to the fact of a static IP I'd assumed it would continue. I was not told otherwise before, during or after the connection update.

WAN IPv4 config is DHCP along with settings as per HamishA's comment

I've tried IPv6 as DHCP too but not tested yet.

Netgear R7000 all the way, the HG659 can now retire.

Solution
Accepted by topic author gobey
‎08-08-2017 08:38 PM
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by gobey Starter Poster
Message 3 of 3 (151 Views)
Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1w ago
  • 0 Kudos