Fibre x speeds

Highlighted
JAC
Starter Poster

Fibre x speeds

by JAC Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (507 Views)

We recently "upgraded" from regular cable (not sure what it was called, we used to be TelstraClear cable customers) to unlimited Fibre X. The speeds are terrible whenever you actually want to stream anything. I seem to be consistently getting about 15-20 mbps in the evenings and weekends, which makes watching anything on Neon pretty much impossible. 

During weekday mornings I get closer to 200mbps, which is great, but not when I need it.

I've read vodafone promos saying that you can get speeds around 800-900mbps when using an ethernet cable but my speeds when using ethernet are usually the same as I get using my phone on wifi.

I'm using the new modem and router VF gave me when we upgraded.

It seemed like a great bonus when VF gave me a free Neon sub along with our unlimited plan, but I can see why they have to give it away - there's no way I'd be paying for it since it doesn't work whenever I want to watch anything.

I rang VF and they say there are known issues with the network that are causing inconsistent speeds and they are working on it, but I have to say I'm pretty cynical and suspect it's just because it can't cope with the traffic at peak times, and that's only going to get worse.

Is there any reason to hope for better things, or do I need to resign myself to watch TV the old fashioned way. Glad I haven't bothered to buy a smart tv - that would be pointless too.

Anyone out there actually experiencing good speeds on Fibre X at peak times?

Regular Contributor Sam
Regular Contributor

Re: Fibre x speeds

[ Edited ]
by Regular Contributor Sam Regular Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (500 Views)

@JACSounds like congestion perhaps? I.e, peak periods the speed drops because everyone wants to stream/download, off-peak when work/school is on, the speed is there.

See below for more details;

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/fibrex-risks-misleading-consumers

https://billbennett.co.nz/2017/06/03/fibrex-commerce-commission/

Starter Poster

by barefootguru Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (468 Views)

Thanks for links, will e-mail CC.  We do have speed issues sometimes on Friday and Saturday nights, but my biggest issue is the cable modem disconnects from the Internet and requires a power cycle 0-5 times a day.  VF support is atrocious and they appear to have no interest in solving this.

JAC
Starter Poster

by JAC Starter Poster
Message 4 of 5 (443 Views)

Thanks Sam. I'd seen the Consumer article and I never expected FibreX to be like real fibre, but I didn't expect it to be this bad!!

Staff

by Staff ChrisVF Staff
Message 5 of 5 (407 Views)

JAC wrote:

I rang VF and they say there are known issues with the network that are causing inconsistent speeds and they are working on it, but I have to say I'm pretty cynical and suspect it's just because it can't cope with the traffic at peak times, and that's only going to get worse.

Hi,

From the behaviour you described it sounds like there's a fault with your connection. The network itself is fine, not congested, and I regularly see ~900Mbps from staff with no dip at peak time.

If you PM your details thorugh to me or @MikeHalesthen we'll get somebody to take a look at your fault.

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 20w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today