Fibre upload speed has dropped recently

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Fibre upload speed has dropped recently

by Contributor Kelly Contributor
Message 1 of 11 (147 Views)

I've been on an Ultra Fast 100 fibre plan for about six months. From a laptop via wifi, at installation I was getting about 80 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload speeds. This evening my family complained of slow upload speeds; I tested, rebooted the modem, and tested again and see 80 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload. This is a huge drop in upload speed.

I've verified that none of my devices should be affecting the upload speed. Is this a network problem?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Vodafone Ninja

Re: Fibre upload speed has dropped recently

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 11 (212 Views)

We're not aware of any issues.

Can you test with a laptop via ethernet with the modem and see if you're getting the same result?

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly
‎24-05-2017 08:25 PM

All Replies
Highlighted
Vodafone Ninja

Message 2 of 11 (213 Views)

We're not aware of any issues.

Can you test with a laptop via ethernet with the modem and see if you're getting the same result?

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly
‎24-05-2017 08:25 PM
Contributor

Message 3 of 11 (100 Views)

I tested today on wired desktop and wireless laptop and was able to reach about 16-18 Mbps upload speeds each time, and the usual ~80 Mbps download speed (I wish I could get up to the 100 Mbps spec!). Whatever the problem was, it seems to be fixed now. Thanks!

Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 4 of 11 (91 Views)

Kelly wrote:

I tested today on wired desktop and wireless laptop and was able to reach about 16-18 Mbps upload speeds each time, and the usual ~80 Mbps download speed (I wish I could get up to the 100 Mbps spec!). Whatever the problem was, it seems to be fixed now. Thanks!

You should be getting the speed you're paying for, if you are on fiber 100 then 100 down is what you should be getting not 80...

Contributor

Message 5 of 11 (83 Views)
Have you ever read the Ts and Cs for a broadband service? VF's are below.

Your broadband speed will vary depending on a number of factors including NZ and overseas networks, your modem and computer technology including wifi capability, internal home wiring, other environmental factors, and how many other people are using it at the time.

That being said, I'd enjoy the 100 Mbps speed if I could get it.
Posted from Android 2.0
Vodafone Ninja

Message 6 of 11 (75 Views)

@Kelly

Best to check your computers network adaptor to see if it's gigabit vs 100mbps, this would cause the max speed you can get to be lower tha what the plan offers. Also open task manager and click the performance tab. Monitor the CPU and Memory graphs to see if they're spiking during the speedtest. 

I have fibre at home too, same setup, and I generally get 99-101mbps on wired speedtest.

- Sam

Expert Contributor

Message 7 of 11 (70 Views)

SamS wrote:

@Kelly

Best to check your computers network adaptor to see if it's gigabit vs 100mbps, this would cause the max speed you can get to be lower tha what the plan offers. Also open task manager and click the performance tab. Monitor the CPU and Memory graphs to see if they're spiking during the speedtest. 

I have fibre at home too, same setup, and I generally get 99-101mbps on wired speedtest.

I am getting the Full 100 down, But I have a new computer and a decent router both have Gigabit Lan and I test over ethernet. Home wiring isin't really an issue anymore on fiber because you arn't using it for fiber, the only home wiring would be if you have ethernet all through your house and it's getting signal loss.

Contributor

Message 8 of 11 (65 Views)

My wired test was from a computer with ample CPU and memory and a Gigabit Ethernet port connected to the fibre modem through a Gigabit switch. I got identical results from my wireless tests as well, sitting in the same room as the modem and using the 5 GHz network band.

Is there something Vodafone can do to check the speed on my fibre line? I remember several rounds of tests when I had VDSL installed as the speed for that was much lower than expected, but I agree that with the new fibre infrastructure, all should be well and fast now.

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 11 (62 Views)

Kelly wrote:

My wired test was from a computer with ample CPU and memory and a Gigabit Ethernet port connected to the fibre modem through a Gigabit switch. I got identical results from my wireless tests as well, sitting in the same room as the modem and using the 5 GHz network band.

Is there something Vodafone can do to check the speed on my fibre line? I remember several rounds of tests when I had VDSL installed as the speed for that was much lower than expected, but I agree that with the new fibre infrastructure, all should be well and fast now.

I wander what you would get if you changed to the 200 plan,

Because like I said you should be getting 100% of the speed you're paying for. have you tried testing with different ethernet cables? Also make sure you are the only one using the internet when your doing the tests, and make sure you haven't got anything running in the background i.e Steam updates/ utorrent

Contributor

Message 10 of 11 (58 Views)

I, too, have often wondered what kind of speed I would get on the 200 Mbps fibre plan, but not enough to go through changing my plan to try it out.

When I get a suspicious speed test result, I always stop any background processes, and reboot the fibre modem and test again when it has reconnected to the Internet - so the chance of someone/something else using the network is minimised. I've done that in this case and it hasn't changed the download speed beyond 80-85 Mbps.

Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today