Fibre Broadband - Does my phone have to go through my modem?

New Poster

Fibre Broadband - Does my phone have to go through my modem?

by Fijikiwis New Poster
Message 1 of 3 (165 Views)

Hi there,

I would appreciate all the help I can get. 

I have recently had fibre internet broadband and phone installation. They have run the phone through the modem.  Is there any way that I can run the phone without it being plugged into the modem? My old phone jacks are dead so they don’t work.

What I would love is to have a stand alone modem and stand alone phone and not one plugged into the other.

Any ideas as to how to achieve this would be great.

Thanks,

Lynette

Posted from Apple iPad
Community Manager

Re: Fibre Broadband - Does my phone have to go through my modem?

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 2 of 3 (155 Views)

@Fijikiwis

Thanks for your post. In order to have a separate phone, you'd need to have your copper connection reconnected for a phone line. Any particular reason for wanting them separate?

FYI the copper phone system only has a few years life in it.

Cheers

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Staff

Re: Fibre Broadband - Does my phone have to go through my modem?

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 3 of 3 (117 Views)

Hi

Assuming that your internal wiring in the house is intact and the disconnection of the physical line is at the ETP ( where it seperates your internal wiring and the chorus copper) you should be able to run a cable from your RGW phone port 1 to the JP. which would allow you to have your phones connected up on ur other jack points. you may need to use a BT - RJ 11 cable to do this. ( BT -RJ11 has one rectangular white side and one square

Now above is a bit generic as the Maximum amount of phone that can be used on the Jack Points depends on the RN value of the phones. ( if you turn your landphone and look at the label below you will have a RN Value )

you can connect a max amount of phone that calculates up to around RN =3.

( eg : if you have 1 phone with RN = 1 and a phone with RN value 0.5 then the RN Value is = 1 + 0.5 = 1.5 )

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors