DSL internet, but no dial tone. Isolation tests completed with no luck in determining a local fault.

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

DSL internet, but no dial tone. Isolation tests completed with no luck in determining a local fault.

by zergrush Starter Poster
Message 1 of 2 (204 Views)

4-5 days ago the dial tone stopped, but internet was still available.  Calls to the number present the caller with voicemail.  There are two landline phones and a dsl modem connected.  Disconnection of all devices and connection of either phone do not give dial tone.  There have been recent problems with the line and, like those, I hoped that this would have resolved itself before now.  As Vodafone cellular coverage here is not sufficient enough to make a phone call, I am hoping posting in this forum can assist.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: DSL internet, but no dial tone. Isolation tests completed with no luck in determining a local fa

by zergrush Starter Poster
Message 2 of 2 (77 Views)

Resolved.
Speculative conclusion was a lightning strike damaging buried copper approximately 47 metres from the dwelling pillar on the network side.  TDR indicated the pair was shorted at that point.  Swapped to another available pair and that seems ok thus far.  Would really love fibre installed to get away from these faults, but I doubt that would happen inside the next 20 years.

I see there are a bunch of views on this post, I hope it helps someone.

Stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 4w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 1 Contributor