Cannot import emails from Clear net folders into new Gmail account

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Cannot import emails from Clear net folders into new Gmail account

by batmantdk Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (1,252 Views)

As the title suggests, i've createda  new Gmail account o use now tha Vodafone have unilaterally decided to stop providing email hosting.
The only reason I stayed with Vodafone was ebcause I have a history of important emails in folders in my Clear net email accounts.

I've followed Gmail's instructions on importing emails and I have all the emails rfom the default Inbox which have come in to Gmail in a folder named after my original Clear net account, but none of the important ones from the folders I had set up in my Clear accounts...

Any help with this would be appreciated, I'm running out of time obviously to import and then sort them the way I had them arranged originally.

Regular Contributor Sam
Regular Contributor

Re: Cannot import emails from Clear net folders into new Gmail account

by Regular Contributor Sam Regular Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (1,249 Views)

Can you move them into the default inbox on your ClearNet account and reimport into Gmail from there? (And then assign folders after that)

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 7 (1,195 Views)

Thanks, but this is a last resort option due to the manual effort. There are a lot of emails in different folders and I'd need to locate and identify each one to move them into the equivalent gmail folders...

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster yitz Frequent Poster
Message 4 of 7 (1,188 Views)

Can you clarify how you access your Clearnet emails currently?

Do you go to www.clearnet.co.nz in a browser or do you use a email program (such as Outlook, Thunderbird).

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster yitz Frequent Poster
Message 5 of 7 (1,186 Views)

I know you are using Gmail but you may want to consider Outlook (www.outlook.com) which lets you "Import into existing folders, such as Inbox, Sent Items and Drafts, and create folders for other messages". Vodafone's guide to importing email into Outlook is here http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/28481

If you want to remain with Gmail a potential solution could be to use a free email program such as Thunderbird to connect to your Clearnet email folders using IMAP (settings available on Vodafone website here), connect your Gmail account (also as IMAP) and then copy folders between accounts. Something along the lines of this thread: http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Community-Spotlight-on-Vodafone/Exporting-emails-in-folders-from-... 

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 7 (882 Views)

I can't get Thunderbird to import the folders from my Clearnet accounts.

The IMAP settings your link has don't work (keeps telling me there's a POP error) and with the original POP settings I get my email but none of the folders I'd created in Clearnet.

Starter Poster

by DuncanL Starter Poster
Message 7 of 7 (1,123 Views)

I am also sttruggling to get old emails from my clear.net.nz account to gmail. I have linked my gmail with thunderbird as was suggested but that has still not helped me import my folders from my old email. I have been viewing my clear emails using outlook. Any help will be appreciated as Sherlock used say "time is of the essence, Watson"

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 43w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors