Cable network upgrades. Wellington, Kapiti & Christchurch - Miramar connection worse since upgrade

Regular Poster
Accepted Solution

Cable network upgrades. Wellington, Kapiti & Christchurch - Miramar connection worse since upgrade

by Regular Poster Baldrick Regular Poster
Message 1 of 31 (1,658 Views)

Hi,

I was just wondering why my connection has been worse since Vodafone have apparently done the upgrade in Miramar.  The connection used to be bad in the evening and now it absolutely terrible, even during the day is worse.

The router has been re-booted a number of times and made no difference, I pay for a 10/100 connection and am lucky if I get 10/2MB in the evening with bad lag spikes.

Are there more upgrades to come in Miramar or is there a problem with the new equipment?

Accepted Solutions
Regular Poster

Re: Cable network upgrades. Wellington, Kapiti & Christchurch - Miramar connection worse since u

Message 29 of 31 (1,571 Views)

Happy to report for me the upgrades seem to have sorted the issue I was having.... touch wood it stays that way.

View solution in original post

Solution
Accepted by topic author Baldrick
‎07-10-2015 04:39 PM

All Replies
Starter Poster

Re: Cable network upgrades. Wellington, Kapiti & Christchurch - Miramar connection worse since u

by ChaoMa Starter Poster
Message 2 of 31 (1,615 Views)
Not just Miramar, look at the reply i got from one of Vodafone's Staff.... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153899973395353&set=o.6172127502&type=1&comment_id=1015390... And Vodafone, you still have not responded!
Highlighted
Regular Poster

Message 3 of 31 (1,583 Views)

Thanks for the information.... glad it's not just me.  I do see that Miramar and some other areas have more upgrades happening today so hoepfully it gets fixed.

Regular Poster

Message 4 of 31 (1,553 Views)

Ok looks like we had an outage yesterday in Miramar, but I'm not convinced it's made much difference.  Speed last night at 11:30 was 7 up and 25 down.  Checked this morning after rebooting the router and it was 5 up and 30 down...... still along way from 10/100!

Would be nice if Vodafone could advise what is going on as it's still crap service at the moment and if they are still working on things letting their customers know would be a good plan.

So to any actual Vodafone people/staff on this community.... any update?

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by banj0man Starter Poster
Message 5 of 31 (1,537 Views)

The current internet speed over the last two weeka in Wellington central on fast 50mbps cable by the Basin Reserve is terrible as well, something like 7mbps to 12mbps on most nights after 5. But will sometimes go so low that it takes a good minute to load stuff news. After a solid 4 months of consistent problems it seems to be getting worse rather than better. Just thought id post saying we are in the same boat here. Can't wait for these "upgrades" to take effect definitely not what i'm paying for. 

Starter Poster

by ChaoMa Starter Poster
Message 6 of 31 (1,524 Views)

Would be great if Vodafone could give us an update. Or better yet, give us a discount for this unusable internet.

Regular Poster

Message 7 of 31 (1,508 Views)

Well an update from me in Miramar.... more upgrades yesterday/last night.  Some improvements now at 11:30pm last night I was getting 10/30, tested again this morning and it's still 9-10/30. 

So it seems that something has been done, but for some reason the maximum download speed I'm getting is topping out at 30, wihich is better than 2 but a long way off 100!!!!

So yes it would be nice to have Vodafone comment on whats happening and am I now only ever going to get a maximum download speed of 30 and if so why?  I am paying for a 10/100 plan and would expect to get close to these speeds, if you are unable to provide this then please let me and all the other customers out there know so we can stop paying for a service we are not getting.

If the speeds will be fixed then please just say so and give us an updated timeframe..... otherwise you are advertising and having customers pay for a service you are unable to provide.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 8 of 31 (1,505 Views)

Hi all

There has been a huge amount of work happening to upgrade cable broadband throughout August and September. It's a $6 million investment and is almost complete. There have been huge improvements in areas completed like in much of Christchurch.

There are a few phases to the work, upgrading our core network, upgrading individual nodes, and load balancing. This takes different amounts of time in different areas.

Appreciate your patience while this work is completed.

Cheers

Dylan

Regular Poster

Message 9 of 31 (1,474 Views)

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the post and providing a lilttle more information, I guess there are still questions outstanding, such as;

* Updated timeframes (are Vodafone still on track to be completed by the end of Sept, which is next week)?

* Will we get the speeds we are paying for?

* Why hasn't the original "Cable network upgrades. Wellington, Kapiti & Christchurch" post been updated to provide more information?  if it was then you might find that your customers would not be complaining or having to post on the community forums to seek answers.

I'm so glad to hear that there is an investment being done by Vodafone and I'm hoping we will all see the benefit, but providing more information to everyone would certainly go a long way to keeping your customers happy.  I would rather have too much information than not enough...... keeping people informed is key to keeping them as a customer.

I'm looking forward to getting the 10/100 speeds that I have been paying for and hope to see it happen very soon..... I'm sure others are also

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 10 of 31 (1,462 Views)

Hi Baldrick

Would probably be best to answer the questions directly, so...

Baldrick wrote:

* Updated timeframes (are Vodafone still on track to be completed by the end of Sept, which is next week)?

Yes, last I heard. There's a huge amount happening.

* Will we get the speeds we are paying for?

Speeds will be back to normal. There are already lots of customers enjoying much faster speeds, like normal.

Why hasn't the original "Cable network upgrades. Wellington, Kapiti & Christchurch" post been updated to provide more information?

I've been working with the project manager and our operations team to make sure we list the nodes that will experience interruptions that day. We sent a letter out to all customers (I think it was in July) with some broad information about the timeframes. We need to find the right detail and amount of information,and keep it relevant and concise as well.

Cheers

Dylan

Stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 10 Kudos
  • 8 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today