Broadband plan pricing

Starter Poster

Broadband plan pricing

by malone Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (306 Views)

I suggest that the cost of broadband plans should be related to the maximum download speed available.

My average download speed during the day is about 2Mbps and in the evenings less than 1Mbps.  There's nothing wrong with the network or my equipment - those speeds are what you'd expect for an ADSL link over 5km distant from the telephone exchange which is the situation for me and my neighbours. Chorus assures us there are no plans for any network improvements, and as we have no wireless coverage it looks as though we are going to have to make do with that indefinitely.

These speeds limit what we can do on the internet - no Netflix for example, and sometimes a single web page can take several minutes to download in the evening.

I feel I'm not getting a very good deal from Vodafone for my $80/month. And you took away my email service last year - and I've just discovered that you are going to discontinue my web hosting service later this year. Because - wait for it - "This allows us to focus on what we’re the expert at – delivering next generation telecommunications experiences for Kiwis."

1Mbps in the evening. Yea, right?!!

Starter Poster

Re: Broadband plan pricing

by merotpo15 Starter Poster
Message 2 of 10 (270 Views)
That is really inconvenient, malone. Are your neighbors all with the same service provider? If you all are, and are all with Vodafone, then it has something to do with Vodafone and you need to call them in regards to it and ask for a technical representative. But if any of you are of different providers and are experiencing the same issue, then the issue is not with Vodafone and you might be needing to tell Chorus or any third parties that these service providers are with.
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Starter Poster

by malone Starter Poster
Message 3 of 10 (264 Views)

I don't think you really grasped the content of my message. Perhaps you should read it again?

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 10 (244 Views)

@malone wrote:

I suggest that the cost of broadband plans should be related to the maximum download speed available.

My average download speed during the day is about 2Mbps and in the evenings less than 1Mbps.  There's nothing wrong with the network or my equipment - those speeds are what you'd expect for an ADSL link over 5km distant from the telephone exchange which is the situation for me and my neighbours. Chorus assures us there are no plans for any network improvements, and as we have no wireless coverage it looks as though we are going to have to make do with that indefinitely.

If only it was that simple. As you are aware, the ADSL line is wholesaled to Vodafone by Chorus. - Chorus charge the ISP / RSP (In this case Vodafone) the same wholesale price for the ADSL line no matter what the speed it delivers is.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

by malone Starter Poster
Message 5 of 10 (232 Views)

Point taken.

But the reason I raised this in a Vodafone forum is because Vodafone is the supplier, I am the customer. I pay Vodafone for a service - how they provide that is their decision, not really any of my business. The fact they use Chorus as a subcontractor is up to them; I'm not a direct customer of Chorus.

If Vodafone was really customer-focussed it would look at my broadband performance and compare it with that of someone 5km nearer the telephone exchange. Noting that there was an order of magnitude difference in download speeds Vodafone might think "it's not really fair that two customers paying exactly the same every month should have such a different level of service. If our sub-contactor, Chorus, is unable or unwilling to upgrade their network equipment, I really think we shouldn't have to pay the same wholesale price for both ADSL lines." And raise this with Chorus.

But Vodafone won't do that, will they? We rural dwellers are in a minority and, as in other aspects of life, tend to be treated with relative indifference.

Mind you, that doesn't stop me from broadcasting my perception of the injustice of it all!

Business Ninja Adept

Message 6 of 10 (225 Views)

Appreciate where you're coming from. And you're entirely correct, you are our customer, not Chorus'.

I am / was just explaining the reasoning why the pricing is not different. 

I think you will find that no ISP in NZ would offer a different price for an ADSL service based on the fact that you get lower sync rates than other users may.

As you are aware, ADSL speeds do vary based on a number of factors, including the equipment your line is connected to; and distance from the equipment, and there is a wide range within which ADSL speeds you could receive. Your speeds are within spec for an ADSL service, albeit, obviously, not the best.

Chorus own the copper network across the country, and the majority of the country's fibre network. Unfortunately it is up to them where they decide to build / improve their network. Not ours.

Business Ninja Adept

Message 7 of 10 (222 Views)

Please also note that copper line prices are regulated by the Government

https://comcom.govt.nz/regulated-industries/telecommunications/regulated-services/copper-services

You can google and find a lot more INFO on the same as well Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

by malone Starter Poster
Message 8 of 10 (177 Views)

I take all the points made. However, they don't detract from the fact that all the service providers (not just Vodafone), the network suppliers and the governments' regulators all conspire to give many of us in rural New Zealand a very raw deal. I do accept the argument that it may not be cost-effective to give us all a 21st century service, and that's why I suggest that at, the very least, we should be charged less for the substandard service we endure. The obstacles you cite ("no other ISP will do it" and "the government says we can't do it") are pretty artificial. If there was anything less than total indifference to the plight of rural New Zealand by governments and the telecommunications sector something would have been done.

Business Ninja Adept

Message 9 of 10 (140 Views)

Hopefully the governments new RBI2 / Mobile Black Spots Fund might bring wireless coverage to your area:

https://www.crowninfrastructure.govt.nz/rural-broadband-initiative-phase-two-rbi2-mobile-black-spots...

The deployment schedule and coverage information for RBI2 is now available on the National Broadband Map www.broadbandmap.nz

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by malone Starter Poster
Message 10 of 10 (133 Views)

Yes, indeed. RBI2 is always in the back of my mind. According to https://broadbandmap.nz/ there's no wireless coverage planned for my area, but I don't know whether that map is the final RBI2 plan? Things have gone so quiet about RBI2 recently I'm beginning to wonder whether it hasn't been shelved. After all, it was started by a previous government. And the last time I heard a relevant minister talk about mobile black spots, he seemed more concerned about extending mobile coverage to tourist hot-spots "so the visitors could sent their selfies home"! Nothing about long-suffering NZ tax-payers living in rural areas getting a half-decent service.

But, if it is decided that investment should not be made to provide a decent broadband service in rural areas, I think it's only fair that we should not be charged the same as those who benefit from the millions of dollars being spent on the county's telecommunications infrastructure.

Which was the thrust of my original post.

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors