B315 Modem, use DYNDNS

New Poster

B315 Modem, use DYNDNS

by Glyn New Poster
Message 1 of 5 (632 Views)

Hi we need to set up DYNDNS within the modem so we can find the modem externally, could someone please explain where this is setup in the Modem.

Please note: the B315 modem is just connected to a piece of hardware with a built in web server so we cannot load teamviewer or similar program onto it.

Senior Contributor

Re: B315 Modem, use DYNDNS

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (608 Views)

DYNDNS is not an option on the B315. Perhaps get a static IP? Are you with an RBI provider?

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster tcabw Frequent Poster
Message 3 of 5 (135 Views)

The original post is quite old, but for anyone doing a search on the same subject, I can provide the answer for seting up DDNS with Huawei B315's

I've just installed RBI and been supplied with a Huawei B315 Modem/Router. Although overseas verions of this router appear to have provision to set up DDNS (at least in South Africa if you check out Youtube), The NZ version of the software omits this function.The more suspicious minded of us might think that this has been purposely removed in order to extract a further $10 per month for a fixed IP.

Anyway, the simple solution is to download fron DYN.com a simple updater program which runs in the background of your PC/MAC or LINUX computer.  I have a PC which runs 24/7 connected to a weather station and this  performs the function. It checks with Dyn.com every 10 minutes and updates the domain name IP with any change that  has occured during the interim.

Hope this helps and saves you a buck! :

Tony C.

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 5 (132 Views)

tcabw wrote:The more suspicious minded of us might think that this has been purposely removed in order to extract a further $10 per month for a fixed IP.

VodafoneNZ does not offer Static IP on RBI.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster tcabw Frequent Poster
Message 5 of 5 (124 Views)

The RBI provider offered me a fixed IP, but said that a charge of $10 per month was required. The 4G tower providing the signal is a Vodafone/2 Degrees tower. The same Internet Provider offers a fixed IP for their own wireless system free of charge (which unfortunately give me a poor signal) , so obviously they are passing on a charge from further up the food chain.

I wasn't accusing Vodafone and I presume all RBI providers including Spark use the same modem. I only replied on this forum because I was searching Google using the same question as the first poster and thought it helpful to provide the solution I had come up with, to aid anyone doing the same.  As an aside, I am also a subscriber to Vodafone fibre in Christchurch and the Huawei modem supplied with that allows DDNS to be set up negating the need for a fixed IP..

cheers

TonyC

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 41w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors