About Vodafone email closure

Contributor

Re: Questions about Vodafone email closure

by Contributor gr0unded Contributor
Message 81 of 266 (293 Views)

capcomnz wrote:

@gr0unded

Bugger!!

I also noticed that on the "setup" page Outllok 2003 wasnt mentioned...just 2007 version.

OK....throwing this out there BUT does Outlook 2003 still support connecting to outlook emails ??

I know Windows Live Mail last year no longer connects to Outlook.

See: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Windows-Live-Mail-2012-will-not-connect-to-Outlook-com-4545...

Thats why I just use the webpage now.

One last thing I would try before resorting to Gmail....

How about downloading Thunderbird and trying that.

If that works by automatically adding a new email account (that way it should use the correct settings), they you could try copying those setting to Outlook 2003.

If it still doesnt connect...I'd say its lost the support as well, which seems strange.....but thats Microsoft for ya!

If Thunderbird works AND Outlook 2003 doesnt it might mean just using Thunderbird.

There are ways to inport emails into Thunderbird from other email clients. Its tricky but there are steps that show how to do it. (just use version 31.8 of Thunderbird as its allows inporting of Outlook - then update to newer version later)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird#w_importing-from-outlook-and-eudora

Sorry, I did not mean to quote the whole piece. I suspect Outlook 2003 does not support connecting to Outlook.com, but that is precisley the sort of thing I would have expected Vodafone to have, at the very least, provided some information on. Where are all the "Ninjas" when you need them I wonder. But thank you very much again.

I have not previously heard of Thunderbird. I will do a little research whilst i wait for Vodafone to come to my aid. 

I should live so long.

Chris

Contributor

Message 82 of 266 (248 Views)

Many thanks to Capcomnz for taking the trouble to try to help me out of the mess with Outlook. Still not a word from Vodafone or the Ninjas that supposedly haunt these pages to assist Vodafone customers with the situation created for them by Vodafone withdrawing the email service we have enjoyed. In my own case I signed up to IHUG in July 2002 so that is over 15 years. I have now chucked in the towel and gone with Gmail. The set up with my PC-based Outlook 2003 was a piece of cake and took only minutes.

Not the result I wanted but it is a result.

Chris

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 83 of 266 (280 Views)

Glad the community has come together to help you.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Posted from Apple iPad
Contributor

Message 84 of 266 (271 Views)

Good morning Mike and thank you for putting in an appearance but I feel you are being disingenuous, to say the least. In Vodafone's email announcing this withdrawal of service Vodafone claimed to be "working with email experts (outlook and gmail)" and that "Ninjas have got together to make the move even easier" and directed it's customers here.

Vodafone did not inform us that this is actually a self-help group for the technically challenged and mildly bewildered where the "Ninjas" lurk in the shadows, presumably too afraid to come out and say "I don't know" or can't be bothered to say "I will try and find out". Because none of you did. And I am left with an email address I did not want because Vodafone was too cheap to make the investment in a modern service.

That loss of email address shgould be important to Vodafone for another reason. I have been a customer for 15 years. I have had problems with Vodafone in the past, perhaps most disastrous being my experiment with Vodafone TV, because the set top boxes were not fit for purpose. In fact not fit for boat anchors or anything else. But I have stayed with Vodafone, in part through an over-developed (and clearly misplaced) sense of loyalty, but mainly because I was comfortable with my email address. It was part of my identity and I did not want to change it. But now that change has been forced upon me and without any meaningful help from Vodafone. My business alone is worth $2400 a year to Vodafone. Why should I stay with Vodafone now Mike? When customers are treated so shabbily? Please tell me Mike or should I invite Russell Stanners to visit this thread and give me a reason?

Chris

Community Manager

Message 85 of 266 (258 Views)

Thanks for the post Chris.

I totally understand your frustration regarding the email closure and please be assured the decision wasn't taken lightly. And the setup of forwarding is designed to ensure you can keep using that email address, albeit from 30 November you won't be able to mail from it. 

I'm sorry that you don't feel the information is helpful, we worked hard to try and cover as many scenarios as possible but everyone's email setup can be slightly different. And the Community is not the only support option - we have FAQs, live chat available as well as phone etc - and the Community's function is exactly that - to gather folks together to support each other. However, the Ninjas and myself certainly don't hide - we all front up every day, you'll find my all over this and many other conversations.

Hopefully, you feel that you're getting value from your Vodafone services and we certainly value you as a customer, though I'm sure you feel the email decision appears to run contrary to that. Email is a personal thing, I understand, but I and others here will work very hard to make the change as easy as possible.

Vodafone New Zealand
Community Manager

Message 86 of 266 (338 Views)

@Trinidad

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Your domain and associated email is unaffected. You will have access to paradise but not webmail post 30 November.

Q2- no

Q3- you will need udai details to move your domain, which is a simple process. Give us a call and we can get that underway.

Hope that helps.

m

Vodafone New Zealand
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by Trinidad Starter Poster
Message 87 of 266 (180 Views)

Thank you for the response.

We will set up auto fwd in place of web access.

I understand that setting the fwd to gmail will not affect the account.

I will research the options before contacting you for details regarding transfering the domain. One issue we have with the paradise hosting is that outgoing email cannot be sent via Outlook.  If this issue can be resolved we will maintain the hosting account. 

Gordon

Starter Poster

by madwithvodafone Starter Poster
Message 88 of 266 (442 Views)

@GGL

You will find it cheaper to go to another email provider. If you have your own domain name, this in most cases is about NZ$20 per year to register. VF and other ISP's charge too much for a monthly email address.

Happy to help you find a resolution to your issue.

Regards

Graeme

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster rotospotz Regular Poster
Message 89 of 266 (397 Views)

How do we get around WHOIS for own own domain name?

bnr
New Poster

by bnr New Poster
Message 90 of 266 (864 Views)

Having (unfortunately) to open an alternative email account using Mac OS have found it unnecessary to transfer existing messages and contacts. Selecting Gmail or whatever in Mail preferences means that it is not required to use the crappy and messy Gmail interface. Easy, they just continue to appear in Mac Mail page.

Stats
  • 265 Replies
  • 14w ago
  • 55 Kudos
  • 10 Contributors