About Vodafone email closure

Community Manager

Re: Questions about Vodafone email closure

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 71 of 289 (945 Views)

@gr0unded

Thanks for your post.

You only need a new email address each, if that's what you want. Your WPM and/or Outlook will need configuring for each. Have you received your forwarding email for each ihug account?

m

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Posted from Apple iPad
Contributor

by Contributor gr0unded Contributor
Message 72 of 289 (920 Views)

Hello Mike and thank you for responding, but I remain befuddled. I am accepting Vodafone's recommendation to move to Outlook (my choice from the two recommended) but I am reluctant to proceed with attempting to establish an Outlook.Com account without knowing why the set up requires me to provide an alternative e-mail address. Does Microsoft have so little confidence in their product? If I had an alternative e-mail address why would I not give that to Vodafone to forward my IHUG mails to, instead of setting up a (seemingly superfluous) outlook account??

Yes, thank you we have both received our forwarding e-mail from Vodafone but it has not been convenient to seek to act upon it until now.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 73 of 289 (865 Views)

@gr0unded

Generally, GMail does the same, it's to allow a recovery processes to operate i.e. another means of mailing you. Pretty sure both double up with a mobile/txt service also.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Contributor

Message 74 of 289 (861 Views)

Hello Mike and thank you again. It seems I may be behind the times in that I see no benefit in having more than one e-mail address and that if I had an alternative e-mail address already I would have no need to establish an Outlook or GMail address upon the death of my Ihug one.

I will proceed to attempt to set up the Outlook.com address (without an alternative to give them) and see how it goes. I may be back.

Chris

Contributor

Message 75 of 289 (1,011 Views)

I think something may have gone awry. I followed the Outlook link in the vodafone e-mail and set up an e-mail account, but it appears to be web-based. I am (perhaps old fashioned?) used to having my e-mail client software on my PC, not floating in the nethers. I have MS Outlook 2003 (part of an ancient Office package). When I check "add e-mail address" I am offered a range of options - POP3 (which is use now), IMAP (I don't have a clue) or HTTP. Do I select HTTP and try and link my old Outlook client with my new Outlook.com address so I can have all my e-mails physically stored on my PC?

Does that make sense? Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Chris

Contributor

Message 76 of 289 (990 Views)

Is there anybody there............................? Vodafone did start this by dumping their e-mail service. The least they could do is put together a decent set of FAQS or answer our questions.

Chris

Contributor

Message 77 of 289 (964 Views)

OK. In the absence of any help or guidance from Vodafone I followed advice on the Outlook site. I have Outlook 2003 on my PC. According to MS Outlook advice I need an IMAP account to synchronise with the Outlook.com email address I have set up and I need to have my emails stored on my PC. So I went into Accounts in my Outlook client and selected incoming server (IMAP) 993, outgoing server (SMTP) 465 and used exceryption type SSL for both.

End result - error "cannot connect to server 993". So where do I go from here? Do I try a POP3 account setting? Will that synchronise with my Outlook.com email address? 

Will somebody at Vodafone please offer some advice. I have been a good paying customer (Vodafone actually gets $2400 from me each year) for 15 years and I feel Vodafone owes us a bit more than "click the link and you will be fine".

Chris

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 78 of 289 (950 Views)

@gr0unded

Hi

I dont use Outlook but I check mine through the website.

I logged in and when to Options (found by clicking the Cog icon top right) -> Accounts -> IMAP and POP and it showed these serttings

Incoming

Server name: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Encryption method: TLS

Outgoing

Server name: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS

(not sure what STARTTLS is with Outlook 2003)

Might mean SSL/TLS

https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/ssltlsstarttls.html

Try these ports / settings

Contributor

Message 79 of 289 (941 Views)

Hi capcomnz and thank you for taking the trouble to reply and give support and advice. I have tried precisely those settings - obtained with some difficulty from the Outlook Support website - with no success. I presume this is because outlook 2003 does not offer TLS as an encryption form, only SSL, but this is only a presumption on my part. The Outlook support links that purport to offer advice for outlook 2003 actually seem to default to outlook 2007, which does support TLS. This may mean that using an Outlook.com email address with outlook 2003 is a total non-starter and I will have to try gmail.

But this is guesswork on my part. Is it unreasonable to expect Vodafone to have considered these issues for its customers, in advance, and provided proper guidance? Vodafone must have been planning this for some time.

Thanks anyway.

Chris

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 80 of 289 (915 Views)

@gr0unded

Bugger!!

I also noticed that on the "setup" page Outllok 2003 wasnt mentioned...just 2007 version.

OK....throwing this out there BUT does Outlook 2003 still support connecting to outlook emails ??

I know Windows Live Mail last year no longer connects to Outlook.

See: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Windows-Live-Mail-2012-will-not-connect-to-Outlook-com-4545...

Thats why I just use the webpage now.

One last thing I would try before resorting to Gmail....

How about downloading Thunderbird and trying that.

If that works by automatically adding a new email account (that way it should use the correct settings), they you could try copying those setting to Outlook 2003.

If it still doesnt connect...I'd say its lost the support as well, which seems strange.....but thats Microsoft for ya!

If Thunderbird works AND Outlook 2003 doesnt it might mean just using Thunderbird.

There are ways to inport emails into Thunderbird from other email clients. Its tricky but there are steps that show how to do it. (just use version 31.8 of Thunderbird as its allows inporting of Outlook - then update to newer version later)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird#w_importing-from-outlook-and-eudora

Stats
  • 288 Replies
  • 49w ago
  • 55 Kudos
  • 10 Contributors