About Vodafone email closure

Starter Poster

Re: About Vodafone email closure

[ Edited ]
by shack Starter Poster
Message 251 of 281 (234 Views)

Hi, we have:

• 3x Paradise email addresses - we download all messages to Outlook via POP/SMTP, though occasionally check them on Paradise Webmail
  • A yyy.co.nz domain name (purchased through Vodafone, paying a separate monthly fee in our Vodafone bill)
  • Webhosting (purchased through Paradise, paying a monthly fee in our Paradise bill)
  • 3x xxx@yyy.co.nz domain name email address (these are the main email addresses we tell people to use) - which I understand are re-directed by Vodafone to the above 3 Paradise email addresses
  • A MS Office365 subscription - which gives us multiple outlook.com email addresses

What I am wondering is:

1. We don't really use the webmail client - will we still be able to access our email message via POP/SMTP, or is that going too?
  2. Should we redirect the xxx.co.nz email addresses, or the Paradise email address, to our new target email addresses?
  3. Should we keep buying the domain name (and its email redirect) from Vodafone (will this still work?), or transfer it to our new email provider (and then just get the Paradise email addresses redirected)?
  4. The problem with outlook.com is it doesn't let you use your own custom domain name (so if we have to transfer our domain name, we won't be able to use outlook.com)
  5. We also have a problem that the outlook.com emall addresses that office365 created let us send outgoing emails and sync via IMAP, but won't accept incoming emails (so we don't seem to be able to use them as target email addresses from Vodafone)

I'm not sure how common our situation is, so any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Starter Poster

by shack Starter Poster
Message 252 of 281 (379 Views)

btw, my apologies for coming in so late, but it has taken me about ten hours over the last two weeks to piece together exactly what our situation is and figure out what aspects are still unclear.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 253 of 281 (362 Views)

@shack

Thanks for your post.

What I am wondering is:

1. We don't really use the webmail client - will we still be able to access our email message via POP/SMTP, or is that going too?
    > No those will no longer be available.
  2. Should we redirect the xxx.co.nz email addresses, or the Paradise email address, to our new target email addresses?
    > No, domain names will not be affected.
  3. Should we keep buying the domain name (and its email redirect) from Vodafone (will this still work?), or transfer it to our new email provider (and then just get the Paradise email addresses redirected)?
    > Not for me to say but moving is relatively straightforward.
  4. The problem with outlook.com is it doesn't let you use your own custom domain name (so if we have to transfer our domain name, we won't be able to use outlook.com)
    > Gmail will allow you to use your own domain name.
  5. We also have a problem that the outlook.com emall addresses that office365 created let us send outgoing emails and sync via IMAP, but won't accept incoming emails (so we don't seem to be able to use them as target email addresses from Vodafone)
    > Here are the settings, would have thought it uses IMAP for both - question for Microsoft.
Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

by shack Starter Poster
Message 254 of 281 (269 Views)

Ok thanks.

1. So, to clarify, we should use the form to redirect only our paradise email addresses to our new target email addresses. This means an email to our domain email addresses will redirect to our paradise email addresses which will redirect to the new target email addresses?

2. I would prefer to use outlook.com since we already have accounts with them, but you are saying our only option is gmail since only they accept domain names?

3. I think the Vodafone promo mentioned Vodafone has direct access to Microsoft to support customers through the migration - is it best to go through you to find out what is wrong with our outlook.com accounts?

4. I'm worried that I am going to have to set up a temporary email address just to get through this migration in time, but then the Email Forwarding form page says it's a permanent mapping, so I'll be stuck with it ?!

5. I'm worried that the notification email says the forwarding mapping takes 3 working days, so what happens to the emails received after tomorrow?

6. Could we get our domain name email addresses to redirect directly to our new target email addresses, so they bypass the paradise email redirect alltogether? Is it easy to change this again (e.g. if we used a temporary email account to get past this migration deadline, then change to a more permanent email once we've had time to sort out the other issues)?

Cheers.

Community Manager

Message 255 of 281 (266 Views)

@shack

1. So, to clarify, we should use the form to redirect only our paradise email addresses to our new target email addresses. This means an email to our domain email addresses will redirect to our paradise email addresses which will redirect to the new target email addresses?

> Anything separate from your domain should be redirected, domains email addresses do not need redirecting.

2. I would prefer to use outlook.com since we already have accounts with them, but you are saying our only option is gmail since only they accept domain names?
> No, I know Gmail accept domains but if you move your domain then email would go with it.

3. I think the Vodafone promo mentioned Vodafone has direct access to Microsoft to support customers through the migration - is it best to go through you to find out what is wrong with our outlook.com accounts?
> No, best to go to Microsoft, we can help with the basics - transfer etc but the inner workings of Outlook.co.nz are best asked of Microsoft.

4. I'm worried that I am going to have to set up a temporary email address just to get through this migration in time, but then the Email Forwarding form page says it's a permanent mapping, so I'll be stuck with it ?!

> Yes, the forwarding address is set.

5. I'm worried that the notification email says the forwarding mapping takes 3 working days, so what happens to the emails received after tomorrow?
> Forwarding should take effect in 24 hours.

6. Could we get our domain name email addresses to redirect directly to our new target email addresses, so they bypass the paradise email redirect alltogether? Is it easy to change this again (e.g. if we used a temporary email account to get past this migration deadline, then change to a more permanent email once we've had time to sort out the other issues)?

> I will find out as not possessing detailed knowledge on Paradise domain setup.

Cheers

Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

by shack Starter Poster
Message 256 of 281 (189 Views)

Hi Mike,

The cutover happened for us on Saturday afternoon. I have spent the last 6 hours trying to fix the problem but now our email is going into a black hole.

I still don't have the details for how to redirect emails from our custom domain on Vodafone/Paradise to a new location. I think this will be the only solution.  How soon can I make that change?

Another solution might have been to allow us to change the auto-forwarding destination - only allowing a single attempt at getting it right has been very unhelpful, I've now had to try and make a whole lot of other connections between accounts since I can't change the Vodafone auto forwarding one.

Vodafone recommended using outlook.com, but these free accounts just don't work when you try to use Outlook for Windows to sync with an email address with your own domain.

Sorry, it's 4am now and I'm at the end of my tether...

pes
Starter Poster

by pes Starter Poster
Message 257 of 281 (357 Views)

Hello I was wondering if I could change the email address I have already selected for my vodafone email account to redirect too?

Community Manager

Message 258 of 281 (333 Views)

@pes

Yes, You have a couple of options. 

1) Call us and the agent can take you through security to verify etc and then make the change.

2) Message me with your account details etc so I can check and then I can put through the change.

Cheers

m

Vodafone New Zealand
pes
Starter Poster

by pes Starter Poster
Message 259 of 281 (328 Views)

Hey thanks for that.. by "call us" you mean Vodafone?

/

Community Manager

Message 260 of 281 (319 Views)

@pes

Yes, 0800 438 448

Vodafone New Zealand
Stats
  • 280 Replies
  • 18w ago