About Vodafone email closure

Starter Poster

Re: Questions about Vodafone email closure

by Sparky63 Starter Poster
Message 41 of 142 (446 Views)

VF appear to be saying that email is a free service and not part of our contracts with them.  When many of us joined Paradise, email was the only service available and we paid only for that service.  Later we were forced to stay with Telstraclear and then Vodafone to continue to use this email service when the companies were taken over by the new owners.  Why is VF now saying that the email service is free and outside of any contract.  

Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

by waltonnz Starter Poster
Message 42 of 142 (428 Views)

OK, I've found out how to do it. It's complicated and was difficult for me (I'm 82 years old and could do without all this hassle). What I've done is set up a gmail IMAP account in my Windows Live Mail. Then, to my astonishment all my Gmail labels I'd set up appeared in the same panel as my Windows Live Mail folders. I was then able to drag emails from my Windows Live Mail folders onto the Gmail labels. They then uploaded to Gmail. In Gmail itself I had to make sure IMAP was enabled which it was. I haven't discovered yet how to get my contacts into Gmail, but that's less of a problem as I don't have that many of them so I could always type them into Gmail. Thank you for trying to help me. I hope this may help someone else who is struggling with a computer based email client.

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 43 of 142 (415 Views)

@waltonnz

Go to Windows Live Mail (WLM)

Chose Contacts

Up the top on the main ribbon theres an option to EXPORT.

Chose CSV file.

Save this to your computer.

Open Gmail on your browser- Not WLM. Need to be done through browser

Go to your Gmail Contacts (accesss from Gmail icon - left side-above the Compose button-theres a drop down option.)

Contacts will open in new window

Theres two versions of Contacts - New and Old

For New version:

Click on More (about half way done on left side)

Go Import

If may tell you to go to the Old version of Contacts - Choose this. Can switch again once completed.

Go Import Contacts (again left side)

Browse to where you saved the CSV file and import them

You will need to check details of the contacts but I found that mine imported fine

For Old version: choose Import Contacts

Choose CSV file

To go back to newer version of Contacts choose Try Contacts Preview

When you switch back to the newer version (if you do) it might tell you, you have duplicates. I think it gives an option of merging them.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor capcomnz Senior Contributor
Message 44 of 142 (411 Views)

@waltonnz

Windows Live Mail (WLM) can be used to send and receive your Gmails BUT it will NOT work with Outlook (or Hotmail) anymore.

Microsoft killed that off last year.

You can set your Gmail account in WLM by going to your Email Accounts

(top theres a icon that looks like a small book? with a dropdown arrow head -   top left)

Click on that drops a window down then Options->Email Accounts

This will list your accounts. One will be listed as the Default. You can change the Clearnet (or what ever) from default and make the Gmail one the default.

At some poiunt you will also need to stop Clearnet account from syncing and receiving mail (after Nov).

Double click the Clearnet account and uncheck the box that says "Include this account when receiving mail or synchonzing"

You can do the same with the Gmail account BUT check the box so it does receive and sunc.

ALSO

If you add new folders in Gmail via the browser to update them in WLM

On the left side where it shows your Gmail account. Highlight the Gmail account and RIGHT CLICK on the mouse.

This will open a small window and one option is "Download All Folders"

I have found that sometimes I hav added a folder in Gmail BUT it doesnt appear (for some resason) in WLM.

This way will bring those folders in.

Any emails you have in WLM should remain on your computer and you can sync them to Gmail in the way you have discriped.

BUT you should alos back those emails up to a safe place on your computer. (in case something ever gos wrong- you can restoire them)

Click on the book icon (top left) choose Export Mail -> Email messages.

Choose Microsoft Windows Live Mail - then Next

Choose an folder on your compute to save these emails to. (I set up a folder called Saved Emails and folders within that labelled the date)

Once you have a folder assigned just follow the prompts. I save All emails when it asks.

It will then save and backup all your emails to the assigned folder for safe keeping

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 45 of 142 (375 Views)

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Starter Poster

Message 46 of 142 (368 Views)

Thank you. I have managed to set up a Gmail account in my Windows Live Mail. As for backing up, I have always backed up my emails every week. I have my computer set to back up all my data and emails automatically. I've had a few computer disasters in my time so those backups have been very useful.

GGL
Starter Poster

by GGL Starter Poster
Message 47 of 142 (338 Views)

We have our own domain name, reigistered through Vodafone, and we have our own personalised email addresses but those email addresses are acutally link to the email addresses of vodafone.co.nz (which you advised will be closed). Will the closure of vodaone email services affect us? Since our domain name is with Vodafone, can Vodafone help us set up personalised email services which will not be affected by the closure? We will need to have access to the email portal to the email server because we need the emails be stored on the server for, say, 10 days? We have an easy office package with Vodafone.

We are reluctant to transfer email services to Google or Outlook.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 48 of 142 (332 Views)

@GGL

Thanks for the post - I will look into that and advise asap.

Cheers

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 49 of 142 (331 Views)

@GGL

For customers with their own personalised domains like you and hosted email and/or websites, you will not be impacted at this stage. We are working on a solution to migrate these services to a new platform while ensuring business continuity for you. We will be in touch with you in the future to explain what this will look like.

Channel Manager, Help & Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

by ParadiseLost Starter Poster
Message 50 of 142 (277 Views)

Hi Mike - I'm still waiting on that email to my paradise account. Nothing in junk files.

Stats
  • 141 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 39 Kudos
  • 10 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today