New phone - Vodafone Smart N8

Highlighted
Starter Poster

New phone - Vodafone Smart N8

[ Edited ]
by Ardgour Starter Poster
Message 1 of 2 (1,036 Views)

This  phone is not listed in the drop down list of the tool to get instructions to connect to the internet by text

Starter Poster

Re: New phone - Vodafone Smart N8

by Ardgour Starter Poster
Message 2 of 2 (998 Views)

I posted my question on Friday and as it is now Sunday without a reply I will rephrase it with more detail.

I bought a new “Vodafone Smart N8” phone from the local Vodafone agency in Westport, New Zealand. In the box with the phone was a Sim card, which the sales person inserted into the phone.

I took the phone home convinced I could easily set it up for “Flex Prepay” - wrong! The instructions that came in the box were so minimal as to be useless except for the advice to go online to “vodafone.com/smartn8” where I downloaded the “Smart N8 User manual” and found, on page 10, a section “Set up your phone for the first time”, good, I would soon have my phone up and running – wrong again!

Instruction 4. “Select a Wi-Fi network”.

I have a “D-Link AC1900” dual band router with an older Linksys modem/router connected to it by cable as a modem. Since I set it up about two years ago this system has worked perfectly with up to ten or twelve connected devices. Both bands are in use by the variety of devices and up until now I have never had trouble connecting a new device.

The Smart N8 will only recognise the 2.4GHz band as available and returns “Not in range” for the 5GHz band even when the phone is less than 1m from the router. Am I correct in assuming that the phone is not 5GHz capable?

When I attempt to connect the phone to the 2.4GHz band and enter the password the phone then shows“Obtaining IP address” for a couple of minutes before displaying the SSID and “IP Configuration Failure”, with “IP address ‘Unobtainable’ ” followed by the MAC address.

I went online again looking for help and found <http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/2710/> “Set up your mobile for email, the web and messaging” “Get your mobile settings sent by TXT:”

The first instruction is “Type in your phone name”. I started typing and a drop-down list of phones appeared. My phone is not on the list so I continued typing “Vodafone Smart N8” and when I clicked “Next” the error message “Please enter a valid phone” appeared, - another brick wall!

I have now realised I am probably wasting my time as how am I going receive a text with a phone that can’t connect to the phone network let alone the internet. I am at a dead end, can I please have some help that works?

Stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 1 Contributor