Setting up ihug email account on Samsung S8

Starter Poster

Setting up ihug email account on Samsung S8

by Collywobbles Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (71 Views)

I have an ihug POP3/IMAP email account. A Ninja helped me set my account up using then GMail app on my Samsung S8.

Now my inbox is synced with Webmail - new messages arrive at both my PC and my phone, and messages that I have deleted  or filed using Outlook 2010 disappear from my phone - but messages that I have deleted on my phone remain on my PC until deleted from there.

There apears to be no syncing of messages sent either from my PC or my phone.

Is it possible to set things up so that there is two way sync between the inbox and sent folders between my phone and my PC?

Vodafone Ninja

Re: Setting up ihug email account on Samsung S8

by Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja Vodafone Ninja
Message 2 of 3 (44 Views)

You would need make sure both devices are setup using the IMAP configuration.

POP is a fairly old method, that works like a post office (POP=Post Office Protocol). Generally your computer downloads a copy of the message, and deletes the copy from the email server, so there is only one copy, like a physical letter, however most mail clients nowadays are setup to download a copy, while leaving the copy on the server as well, to allow for multiple clients to be used, or webmail and a client. The issue here is that there's no syncing between clients. Deleting a message on your phone is only going to delete the copy on your phone and not elsewhere.

IMAP is a newer standard that basically mirrors your inbox on across your clients and the server, so if you delete in one place, it will delete everywhere etc.

Hope this clears things up.

- Sam

I work for Vodafone, supporting our mobile and fixed customers, and volunteer my time on the community.

PM = Private Message. Click on my name to send me a message.
Starter Poster

Re: Setting up ihug email account on Samsung S8

by Collywobbles Starter Poster
Message 3 of 3 (13 Views)

Many thanks for this helpful answer.

re - 'You would need make sure both devices are setup using the IMAP configuration.'

Would ihug (web mail) still work if I changed the settings on my laptop to IMAP?

In other words - if I change the settings on both my laptop and my phone to IMAP would that result in syncing across my clients and the server - or would I have to use a new email address to get this sort of syncing?

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today