SD card won't mount on Smart Prime 6

Retired Staff

Re: SD card won't mount on Smart Prime 6

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 11 of 23 (5,030 Views)

I had a Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB card from PBTech to hand so I tested it out. It was formatted for NTFS and wouldn't mount in the Smart prime. I repartitioned it as FAT using a mac and it now works in the Smart prime and it's able to be erased in the prime now too, works as it should.

New Poster

by stephen321 New Poster
Message 12 of 23 (4,225 Views)

Hi I have exactly the same issue. Brand new 64gb micro SD card. Reconginsed by windows PC, recognised by my android tablet but not by Smart Prime 6. If re-partitioning works as described and I can do this on my PC then could you pls. provide a step by step guide?

Starter Poster

by Errol Starter Poster
Message 13 of 23 (4,204 Views)

I too have just purchased a Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB card, and it to will not mount, tried formatting to NTFS but no joy.

Anyone else had any luck getting these to work?

Starter Poster

by Errol Starter Poster
Message 14 of 23 (4,195 Views)

Further to my previous post, I have formatted this card from exFAT to NTFS, FAT 32 and back again. FAT32 came the closest to doing something in that it started calculating space and then quit to usuaul scenario of doing nothing.

Wil try sons 64gb card that IS working in his phone when I see him next. Might be wise to back his card up first though....

New Poster

by sptemple New Poster
Message 15 of 23 (4,184 Views)
Hi - I'm having exactly the same problem. Brand new SD card in a brand new phone. I will try and format the card in my PC but would be interested to know if this is a problem with the phone or lollipop.
Posted from Android 5.0
Starter Poster

by Errol Starter Poster
Message 16 of 23 (4,142 Views)

K, so further to previous posts, got son to format sd card in his Motorola running Lollipop and inserted into my phone ... instant success, now have a working 64gb sd card that is unmountable, erasable and usable.

Guess upshot is, try formatting in someone else's phone.

Starter Poster

by ScottX.McGill Starter Poster
Message 17 of 23 (4,121 Views)

After trying countless format options and partioning tools on my PC I borrowed a friends Mac and formated my card on that... now it works fine.

Not the best solution, especialy for PC users with out acces to a Mac, but, at least for me, the problem is resolved and my phone (and card) now do everything I want and do it well Smiley Happy

New Poster

by Jrs84 New Poster
Message 18 of 23 (3,952 Views)
I have exactly the same problem with a sandisk 64gb card.

More frustratingly, Sky Go doesn't work on the phone because Miracast cannot be removed from the version of the OS, even though Vodafone is (mid)selling the product on the basis of access to Sky streaming
Posted from Vodafone 895n
Highlighted
New Poster

by Hugh_3170 New Poster
Message 19 of 23 (6,473 Views)

I have also had this issue and it was resolved by formatting my Sandisk Ultra 64GB card  on a Windolws PC with the aid of a free FAT32 formatter program and an external SAndisk card reader/writer. 

To format my card I downloaded a small utility program from www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk which works like a charm on my older Win XP laptop.  Try it - it is free, it is small, and it comes as a runnable excutable that does not have to be installed.  (And if you Google for FAT32 formatters you will also find alternatives to this program.)

Only extremely old versions of WIndows such as Win98 and the terrible Windows ME can format above 32GB. 

Modern Windows versions from around XP and onwards can only Format FAT32 to 32GB.  For larger cards you are required to use extFAT or NTFS, neither of which are supported by the VodafoneSmart Prime 6 (aka as the VF-895N).  The same is true for many other phones from other suppliers as well.  I couldn't find an Android App to do the job in the phone itself.  Maybe there is one out there.  Anyone know?

One thing that you need to be aware of is that older card readers on PCs are often only good for SDHC - which have only the ability to handle 32GB - fortunately I had an external Sandisk card reader/writer to get around this side issue.

Vodafone should amend their instruction manual to guide people around this mine field, and should push its suppliers really hard for a firmware update to make the fix permanent for all of its existing and future customers.

As an aside, I am wondering if a 128GB or even a 256GB SD ard could be mounted if it were preformatted as a FAT32card  - a tempting selling point if the fix were to be built into the phone itself.  Just thinking.........

Solution
Accepted by Dylan (Retired Staff)
‎25-01-2016 10:48 AM
Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Dylan Retired Staff
Message 20 of 23 (3,006 Views)

Thanks for the post @Hugh_3170, great info. I've marked your reply as the solution.

I mentioned in an earlier reply that I was able to format the SD card suitably using a mac, sounds like I might have stumbled on the same solution that you clarified in much more detail!

I'll pass the feedback on to the team.

Stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 5 Kudos
  • 11 Contributors
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today